Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
julianblack

Quelle suprise-:)

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

Indeed. Fortunately Amazon do respond when they say they will, and have agreed to my request to return it for a full refund.

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

thanks Rooobb, will give it a go when i get back later

profile.country.CZ.title
spectorcz
Explorer

Hi guys,
I'm considering buying of 65W859C (eventually 857C as its silver frame would fit color wise to my living room color setup). Can you pls answer few questions for me?
1) Is Skype app working on this TV?( if you install it from google play store) If so, which external usb camera do you recommend that would work with this tv?
2) What kind of CPU does the tv have? is it dual or quad core? ( to easily check that if you run Kodi and having wireless keyboard connected, you can press "O" key while running any video and when info pops up there is a row starting with letter W that tells you information about CPU utilization and number of cores).
3) What options are to sort out the channels, or how good is channel management? Can the list of channels be stored on USB flash drive and sorted by some external program on PC and then be uploaded back to the TV? Assuming there are hundreds of channels from dvb-t, sat, I would like to easily manage the order, favourites and so on by myself as quickly and user friendly as possible.
4) I heard the tv is not capable of playing videos with bitrate > 40 Mbps ( for instance Samsung Oceanic demo - full hd, bitrate 40Mbps), is that really true?
5) Is the built-in wifi working also in 5GHz bandwith or it is just 2.4GHz.
6) Are the color of frame (black vs silver) and motion rate (1000Hz vs 800Hz) the only differences between w859c and w857c ?

Thanks, 

Martin

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Another day, another Hard Reset :cry:

Every morning when I come into my front room and turn my PC on the screen is not displayed. I have to Hard Reset the Display. Every Morning. :alert:

Some days it crash's several times a day too. :smileyd_oh:

This month (19 days in) I have had to Hard Reset it over 30 times.:smileyminus:

I have contacted my supplier today, whom have said they will look into it and get back to me tomorrow.

I'm going to ask for a full refund.

Every morning my poor PC is going mental with me having to turn it on, off, on, off. My Intel Display Drivers aren't enjoying it either. :remote:

My box advertise's Picture in Picture - Nowhere to be found.

My box also advertise's HDD Recording - Also no where to be found.

I payed a £1000 for this display :bomb:

Knew I should have gone for the imayama.

I'm not going to bother tinkering under the hood anymore as mine is also a dual core inside, not a quad.

:handshake:

Kind regrdas

I stand corrected

Richard

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@spectorcz wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm considering buying of 65W859C (eventually 857C as its silver frame would fit color wise to my living room color setup).

As there are 430-odd pages of people tearing their hair out because these Android sets just don't work properly at any level the real question would be why? 

The sets are dual-core... 

Channel management, especially on satellite is HORRENDOUS! - The UI is a complete nightmare and the sets routinely delete channels you want whilst also adding-back channels you dont. There is an apparently amateur-written application available a 'crippleware' version of which Sony make available free; it doesn't help really. 

Honestly DON'T! just dont!  - Either buy something else or wait 'till the quad-core 2016 range is out. - Save yourself a lot of pain . 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

TheVoice wrote:

Phoned Sony UK support earlier, described the issue, they agreed it sounds like an electrical fault meaning the case needs to be escalated to another team who would call me back within an hour.

That was two hours ago. So rude and frustrating when businesses do this.

One reason why I kept all my dealings with them in writing...  It's been a slow process, but we do seem to be getting there. My set's been replaced and I'm just tidying up the warranty issues now.  - Still, as Amazon now seem to have stepped up to the plate well done them!

stuhall11
Explorer

Hi all,

Few more updates after a week or so with the set (UK-based X80C 55"):

1. I've still not had any stability issues while actually watching content (be it TV, streaming or local network content) - we've now watched a few films and have never had any issues during playback. We watched a 15GB MKV movie, which is about as big as I go, and it worked perfectly (and upscaled beautifully too!)
  2. I /have/ had the set not turn off (once) and not turn on (once). Both of these required a power-off-at-the-plug restart
  3. The UI is certainly not what I would call zippy, especially when using the live TV guide, but it's usable
  4. I'm still having mixed results with 5.1 passthrough of local network content:

• Plex native client only outputs 2.0 PCM, transcoded from the Plex server
    • Amazon Prime only outputs 2.0 PCM
    • The Sony Video app, used with the Plex backend outputs 5.1, but I've had occasional media that doesn't play very well through this
    • Kodi plays everything as well as my old, external media box with passthrough audio

5. The only streaming content we really use are iPlayer and Amazon - both have proved robust and reliable
  6. Have been using "casting", mostly from YouTube - my wife and kids love this!
  7. The Sony component integration has worked faultlessly and I now never have to touch the kit in the cabinet, which is a revelation!

Personally, I'd like to see:

1. 5.1 passthrough fixed properly for Plex and Prime
  2. Performance improved (Marshmallow may improve this - it did on my phone :slight_smile: )
  3. USB recording, but in truth, I'm not that bothered about this. Being able to pause live TV is probably as much as I need here

Anyway, I'm not seeing anything like the issues that you guys here are seeing and I hope that it remains so!

Daern.

adyjay33

That's great news for you... 🙂

Are you able to record using the HDD feature and the PIP/PAP feature these
2014 Android sets are supposed to have from the 24th Dec 2015?

Just wondering 🙂
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
dazworld

@adyjay33 - the answer is NO. 

HDD recording was promised on the sets summer 2015, but not delivered. Then promised Dec 2016, but not delivered. January 2016 - Sony is now saying March 2016.

I don't think PIP was ever a feature Sony promised and not delivered.