Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
adyjay33

Julian Black is right though, we should not be looking for workarounds or anyway to fix these pieces of... well I think its obvious that these sets are not fit for use so Sony should sort it out or at least give the option to trade it in free of charge for the new 2016 model when they come out as a matter of goodwill.

Its such a shame that this has happened to a once "Premium" company but the customer in this case is just being used a a beta tester and thats just plain wrong!

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

Does anyone know if the 2016 models are better able to cope with the Android OS? They haven't been out long have they? I got my TV fom John Lewis with a 5 year guarentee so I'll be requesting a switch if the newer models are better.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@oodles2do

I have a similar set 

KDL50W809CBU

I have not got that many problems. May be because i do not use the EPG in the TV. Also i have not loaded any apps other than Kodi.

Slugglishness is a general issue if you are trying to change the channels on the Tv. Best to use external box. I do have some of the issues mentioned in the forum but not that bad. Also it is best not to use the remove too fast. HDD is not working yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@oodles2do

I have a similar set KDL50W805CBU

I have not got that many problems. May be because i do not use the EPG in the TV. Also i have not loaded any apps other than Kodi.

Slugglishness is a general issue if you are trying to change the channels on the Tv. Best to use external box. I do have some of the issues mentioned in the forum but not that bad. Also it is best not to use the remove too fast. HDD is not working yet.

oodles2do

Yes that's another issue, the delayed update for twin tuner, picture in picture (doesn't really bother me) and HDD record which does!

Its such a shame that this has happened to a once "Premium" company but the customer in this case is just being used a a beta tester and thats just plain wrong!

I think what marks out a Premium company isn't just the quality of their products but also how they deal with any issues. Its this aspect that Sony has failed to address in a satisfactorily way. Releasing feature updates before addressing bugs, changing the feature set, not keeping the customers informed for long periods and generally giving the impression (well to me anyway) they don't have much of a clue about how to sort all this out is what marks them as not being worthy of the 'Premium' reputation they once had. 

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

If you do not want YOUVIEW you can use the Ireland and EU firmware version just reset your set to country of Ireland and you will receive those  firmwares as they do not have the same problems as listed here with youview and the rest....

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

I for one have very few issues with my android TV and put a lot of the problems down to the fact that these sets need to be COMPLETELY powered down when not in use e.g. switched off at the socket.

I power on every day and all works well if a little slow to change channels.

Future updates should bring all the goodies promised and as I have not seen a better TV for the same cash I will await these before complaining about it.

P.S. No relation to Sony!!!

oodles2do

I have the UK firmware but I've disabled YouView. I've done a factory reset but it didn't help much. I've since disabled a lot of stuff on the home screen too. Hopefully it'll make it a bit faster, I'll uninstall all the apps I know I'll never use.

elraouk

So I decided to install kodi and have a play, I've not used it in a while as my family find plex far easier to use to playback media from my server. 
One thing I noticed is that it reports my screen resolution as 1920x1080 (it's a 49X8305C) and not 2160?