Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Thejak80

I think if Sony were to Double down and actually take the time to read these forums and issue a statement it'd actually give people some hope that the issues that have been appearing will be addressed, the problem is the sets look beautiful and the idea is there the implementation is just slap dash, I've had to disable WiFi because it keeps connecting and disconnecting and Bluetooth as my touch remote stops working but something keeps me from just scraping all hope for this set

There social media team is laughable reading your messages to just ignore them, so maybe it is a case of Sony is a company who prefers to just put their fingers in their ears and pretend there's no problems

I don't seem to have most of the issues listed here - but I use a Harmony Remote (Ultimate) with the set and when the TV turns on the remote sets the input to HDMI1 (inputs controlled by the Sony Amp) but the Android Menu always displays over the top. I have applied a workaround in the remote which makes it easier to get rid of but does anyone know if we can disable this menu?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Thejak80

The purpose of these forums is so that we can assist one another as a 'community'.  Only a select couple of Sony Staff members are allowed to post on these forums as policy.  To get a response from Sony themselves, you must contact them directly.

Having said that, some Sony staff to actively monitor these forums, they can and do flag up issues to the correct department when necessary.  Also, forum members who have 'expert' against their names, can escalate or flag issues for Sony to investigate as well.  

However with a very large thread such as this one, it is very hard to get to the root cause of what the problem is.  This is due to a number of factors.  To assist this forum community (as well as Sony), a thread has been created for the common problems/issues/bugs that have been identified by a number of people or can easiliy be reproduced.  See HERE for that thread.

Hopefully this explains things better

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi @Thejak80

The purpose of these forums is so that we can assist one another as a 'community'.  Only a select couple of Sony Staff members are allowed to post on these forums as policy.  To get a response from Sony themselves, you must contact them directly.

Having said that, some Sony staff to actively monitor these forums, they can and do flag up issues to the correct department when necessary.  Also, forum members who have 'expert' against their names, can escalate or flag issues for Sony to investigate as well.  

However with a very large thread such as this one, it is very hard to get to the root cause of what the problem is.  This is due to a number of factors.  To assist this forum community (as well as Sony), a thread has been created for the common problems/issues/bugs that have been identified by a number of people or can easiliy be reproduced.  See HERE for that thread.

Hopefully this explains things better

Cheers

@Anonymous

Which pretty much encapsulates what is wrong here.

I never thought I would say it, as I greatly prefer the facilities and features of conventional forum software like this, but Sony could take a leaf out of the book of YouView, who use the GetSatisfaction Community software to power the YouView Community.

Although the GetSatisfaction software is limited and quirky, when viewed from the POV of someone used to software like the Lithium that powers this forum, it provides enormous analytical power to the Administrators of the Communities that use it, which means that the signals, even in a long thread such as this, do not get lost in the noise.

And which sends the not-so-coded message to the users of such Communities that the companies behind them really care about their reputation, and their  customers' satisfaction with their products and services. Or at least, if they don't really care, that they are under no illusions as to what their customers think of them.

And running such a Community by no means rules out peer-to-peer support; many GetSatisfaction Communities rely heavily on peer-to-peer for first - and if accurate, only - response to increase their support responsiveness, and reduce their support costs. GetSat 'Champions' are like Sony 'Experts' - bur everyone posting on a GetSat Community knows they are talking to the company running it, and does not have to wait for an Expert to intercede for them, like the priests of some old-time religion.

And you know that in a GetSat Community, there are Administrators who care, and who will step in when a wrong, or no, response is provided, to cover the situation.

Also, you also know that all the problems are out in the open, or can be; there isn't one, public, place to vent, and quite another, very non-public, to get action, as there is with Sony, so there is no fear of divide and rule, squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc., as happens here.

There's no point though, in saying that if Sony used GetSat, all would be well; it wouldn't.

It's rather that when a company spontaneously chooses GetSat over other forum software, it says something about them and their culture that is right and good, and so the culture needs to come, or to change, before GetSat could ever be a right choice for Sony, whose current culture of denial and deafness is not a GetSat one,

With GetSat, you are never just shouting in a locked room, like you are here; you know you are being listened to, and heeded..

And isn't that what we all want from Sony; to know we are being listened to, and heeded?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown 

Thanks for the insight.  I cant tell you why Lithium was chosen over many other platforms. If your interested, have a read HERE which might give more insight.

Im not 100% sure on what you think is wrong?  Is it the running of the forums, the lack of 'Sony to Customer' interaction or... Just curious :wink:  However I am sure that there are various analytical tools at Sony's disposal, in order to filter the wheat from the chaff as they say.

Now, if the GetSat forums are limited as you say, that might be a reason no choosing it.  Just keep in mind that Sonys forums are scaled across many languages over many countries, as well as including features that are not typical of forums - I.e. Photo Galleries.

Also, from my understanding, its never been the intention or goal to have a Sony Support Forum and hence be a differentiating goal between Sony and YouView.  Both have the word 'community' in them however.

Im not sure on what you mean on divide and rule either?

In my time here thus far, I can honestly say that there is definately not a culture of denial or deafness - they do listen.  However they do have a communication issue between various sub-companies and departments.  However, i have never met a global company that does not have some communication issues either.  Sony are also teaching me a lifetime goal of how to be patient :wink:

Im ignoring all the comments on that GenSat Admins care etc, as this is all subjective...  :wink:

I guess it all comes down to what the end goal is.  No forum software will be the be all and end all.  But until Sony change the forums to a support based one instead of a community driven one, you are stuck with the likes of me and other experts ( @jumpsuit @Blencogo @rich912 and @Thalamus. ).  We may not be perfect, but we will do our best. 

Thejak80

@Anonymous I understand and thank you for your explanation around these issues 

But no disrespect it doesn't fill me with much hope at all about the current situation regarding Sony's firmware for these android TV's now don't get me wrong every company can be guilty of poor communication from time to time but it's just not good enough, for their social media team to just blatantly ignore any further questions is just proof that Sony don't want to commit to anything as far as android TV is concerned, and its worrying 

If this was a bodged iOS update the web would be on fire with the issues it's caused but for some unknowing reason this Android TV issue has been going for a year and no ones picked up on it features were missing from the initial release for goodness sake! 

And in fact if @Anonymous if you can ask Sony when this Android TV firmware update is due thatd be fantastic, judging that even on their social media page they suggest getting in touch with you here on the forums! 

adyjay33

Do you know me John Pringle?

You seem to think that I have a lot of time?

Sadly you don't know me and you don't know what my life is about so I think you don't have the information you need to tell me that I have a lot of time to hand to take this crap TV back... I have been on this forum for a while and I'm not the only one that complains... in fact you complain too so I respectfully suggest you get on with your life and I will get on with mine.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thejak80

Hi there

You've mentioned a couple of times about Sony social media team and how you believe they have ignored you.  Are you able to give me details on this - happy for you to PM me if you wish.

I have asked last week about when another FW update will likely be - at this stage it is not known (i.e. no planned date).  However if i was told, its unlikely i would be able to post the details anyhow unfortunately.

If you think about it though, we have some major sporting events coming up,so if its not soon, its unlikely Sony will do so during these events.... Just in case etc.

I know you might not believe me, but there has been improvements to the TVs each update, even though its sometime a two steps forward, one step backwards.

Cheers

ypmud150683
Explorer

Ok I have recently purchased Sony KD49X8305CBU, and my first impressions are stupidly impressed I am using the UK firmware and have it attached to a Sony AV amp with full integration with other Sony devices, I dont see what the actual issue is at the moment, yes I have noticed its a tad darker but out of the box fw it has power saving switched on to max and has a load of settings switched off which I have turned on.

At the moment I am not able to link the tv to my online SEN account and dont know why that would be as I can not see any way of getting the code out of my TV to input onto the SEN devices profile.

Does any one know how to find the code and if so where do I find it??

To everyone else who owns one of these TV's I hope you stick with the set as so far I think its a cracking bit of kit yes it suffers from a wee bit of lag here and there but its an android device and anyone who uses android on a daily basis will know the OS suffers with lag so I dont actually think this issue is with the TV but with the OS as its lollipop and not Marshmallow the TV is running on and from what I have been told the MM update is due before the end of the year if thats the case the TV should run like butter as MM is probably the best OS to date with android.

As far as the other issues with NF and streaming services I dont sub to them so cant comment but I do hope this gets sorted for you soon.

Hopefully I can get some help with my issue after all this a forum and not a rant station :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@ypmud150683 Well said, I have been trying to say how great my KD49X8309C TV is. I have loaded Kodi and it really kicks in the speed stakes so don't think the sluggishness is all down to Lollipop, most likely the Sony menu system.