Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mission360
Explorer

Nonsense

profile.country.en_GB.title
Skighpilot
Explorer

Hi,

I have been holding off buying a new TV because of these problems. I have now received the following email regarding firmware update:

"Dear Sony customer,

Having continued our engineering efforts on our new Android televisions since our most recent updates on our website, we can confirm that we have overcome the technical issues reported, and a new firmware version is now available for UK residents to download:

-          PKG2.605.0052EUA (for 2K models)

-          PKG2.605.0052EUB (for 4K models)

Please visit the link below to stay informed on all future firmware updates.
We thank you sincerely once again for your patience as we work to improve the Android TVs from Sony.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

Best Regards

Sony Support Team"

I wonder if anyone has installed either of these updates and, if so, what the result was.

Kevwoods12

That's what the last 10 pages have been all about! 

gunit1978
Explorer

Update installed and factory reset done, seems a lot better response wise, netflix 99% screen hasnt happened again yet but not had it on as much as been reinstalling kodi etc.

I have noticed I can only cast from my photo and video gallery now, and have lost the option to cast from FB, youtube and chrome etc 

This is on a 43w805

profile.country.en_GB.title
Skighpilot
Explorer

Thanks.

I have read them again but have not seen anything about the functionality of Android TV itself, other than screen casting and Netflix functionality.

Early versions of Android TV were apparently very poor and I wonder if that has improved. The model I am considering is KDL-50W805C.

dspencer999

Just discovered a new feature. 3D movies no longer play on Plex. Brilliant!

Abercrombie

Its still possible to do 3D with Plex. Go to the settings from the main android TV screen and enable 3D from there. I managed to do this several times after finding that it isn't available in the pop-down menu from within plex. It's a bit hit & miss, but does work

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@cozzykim wrote:

@andrewsoong

I don't think that the TV has the correct profile to act as BT sound source 😞

EDIT: That would be a superb candidate for a firmware upgrade, I use a tiny BT transmitter at the moment, when the wife has to go to bed early for work.

Good idea, but there might be a lipsync issue due to the latency of Bluetooth audio. I use BT headset when watching movies on the iPad and it is acceptable in that scenario, but wit a big screen, it might be more noticeable. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
mk1.golf.1983

So after being pretty pleased with the recent update I have now noticed that I am unable to Cast from youtube or soundcloud. I have restarted the tv numerous times, restarted my phone numerous times, set the time as network time on both devices and done an initial setup. Any idea's because if this doesn't work the tv is going back. KDL43W755C 

rdlowry

Casting of YouTube and everything else is still working for me after the update. The Cast Receiver on my KDL43W755C updated to a new version after I did the upgrade. Version 1.1643955. I've got a Nexus 5 with Marshmallow installed.