Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
EggDublin

Casting is not working for me on the KD55X8509C. Has anyone managed to find a fix for this on this set?

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

For casting I use Allconnect from the play store 

Hope that helps 

EggDublin

Thanks @nickbaker66 looks like a good app but the problem is the TV itself, I can cast to other devices. I have found a thread dedicated to this issue so I'll post there too. It appears to be related to the Oct 13th firmware update.

https://community.sony.ie/t5/televisions/android-youtube-app-cast-icon-not-appearing/td-p/1886811/pa...

rdlowry

Did you check that the cast receiver app is at the same version I posted earlier? After I updated tv firmware there was a Cast Receiver update available in the Play Store on the TV. I'd imagine this would have automatically installed eventually, but it was listed in the updates tab after I did the update. Worth checking.

We just got this message from Sony Nordic:

"We just couple minutes ago recived the report from Sony that the Cast-function is not working after the update to latest FW.
We have also tested in our lab this now, and can confirm that cast-function is not working.
Sony is working on it, and at this moment we have no timeframe when it's solved."

Guess we'll have to wait ...

Brigante01

I've discovered a bug in the new firmware on KD43X8305C UK model. Probably affects all X830C models though.

As I'm using the TV exclusively as a PC monitor my use of it is a bit different.

When I set the TV to display 1080p@120hz from my Nvidia 980ti over HDMI I get artifacts across the screen. Looks like short white lines that flashes up on the screen.

It does not matter which colour format I set, 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 produces the same results.

Others are reporting the same issue with various HDMI cables and graphic cards.

This was working fine before the 13th October firmware update which makes me think it's a software issue and not hardware limitation.

Maybe this is something Sony could have a look at for the next firmware?

dataghost
Explorer

Much happier with the TV after the update, and appreciating the little speed improvements and additions here and there.  However the set has lagged and crashed on me at least 4 times whilst testing everything.  

Then again, while we have Android as an OS I guess that will never truly go away.  Shame they couldnt have struck a deal with apple to use iOS (wishful thinking I know).

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

What models are people having an issue with the Cast function? Only asking because I am able to cast fine. I'm not a 4K set owner, mine is a W805C. Is it possible this is only affecting particular Android TV's and not the whole range? Would be interesting to see a list of which ones it is and isn't, or if its a random bug!

t1mmm9879
Explorer

w805c here and my set has been working with no issues. 

I didnt really have any pre update and after the update things just seem snappier really.

The only bug I'm seeing is when switching to my PS4, there is a sound delay (all be it very small) which is resolved by navigating to the sound options and changing the sound setting then back. That seems to sort it... Not ideal but my only complaint. 

I have a 55W809C at home where Cast doesnt work.. but the same model in our
store works flawless.
In our store, the 43W809C, 49X8309C, 55X8509C, 65S8505C, 65X9005C and
75X8505C doesnt work with Cast or Sideview. But many of the other models do
just fine (all running 5.1.1)

It really makes no sense at all?