Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
alanxce

Just thought I would add a positive message  - my 55X8509C purchased 11/15 is still working fine with no issues, has flawlessly gone through the updates and has yet to be subject to a factory reset. I take the time occasionally to check out the competition and I still can't find a picture to match it in the same price bracket. 

A happy Sony customer.

dazworld

Funny enough @rooobb I was going to end the final post I made today with a line that I didn't feel I needed any responses to my post from you.

This is because you are extremely active on this forum and seem to only respond with positive commenets to any criticism/ negative comments made. I can only deduce you either work for Sony, but do not reveal this to customers, or perhaps receive goods from Sony and in return asked to add only positive comments to any criticisms.

But, either way, and falling into a trap to feel I have to respond to you, I have every right to post on this forum as a [previous and current] Sony customer who has had issues with these sets and have been reporting factual experiences.

Thanks, I've not checked about the regularity of Panasonic firmware updates, but if they aren't as common as these Sony sets need to be then Panasonic has either produced a reliable set in the first place (Sony have not) or have responded to issues and fixed them in their [limited] firmware updates. My new Panasonic TV was released about the same time as the unreliable Sony TV I have disposed of.

Again, either way, my Panasonic seems extremely reliable thank you very much.  

Okay even with the above, I’m going to agree with you. As a customer who has returned their problematic Sony 2015 Android 49x3809 TV and now have a Panasonic CS802 TV I’m now switching notifications off for this forum. 

I wish you all well.

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

I think he just wants to add to the total posts in this thread as proof that everyone here has problems.

I for one am a happy Sony customer and now have added another post to the post count to this over long thread. 🙂

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@dazworld what is funny is that whoever try to help out other people on sony forums has to be paid by sony. I think it should be clear by now that sony employees or contractors do not write on  sony forums. BTW I do not write positive comment normally just post some hints on how tp solve problems when i'm able to (and willing to)

I'm not wanting to open a discussion like yourself just didn't understand what help to others may add your last post. Enjoy your new tv (btw I love sony but pana is a good tv maker in my personal opinion)

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi. Where does it say Sony will not release updates for 2015 sets? Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:
Hi. Where does it say Sony will not release updates for 2015 sets? Thanks

No where does it says that, as it simply isnt true.

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@dazworld Said this :-The regularity of the firmware updates is testament to problems, but they have failed to fix the issues. And to top this Sony will soon cease to release fixes for the 2015 sets. Things will get worse. Not @Garymjh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reposting this from page 530 of this thread:

________

Hello All

There has been quite a few comments over a period of time in regards to your concerns that Sony would cut support of their 2015 TV range once the 2016 TVs get released. I hope to put your mind at ease over this issue.

There are three particular categories:

• OS Support – At CES 2016, Sony announced that 2015 Android TV models will also receive the update to Android 6.0. Therefore it is reasonable to expect continued support and development.
  • Bug Fixes – Sony does not have a time limit in which it stops fixing major bugs and other issues.
  • Apps – As time goes on, some 3rd party providers of apps may decide to stop supporting their apps. This goes for both Android and non-Android based TVs. This is something that Sony (as well as other manufacturers) have little control over. However, with Android TVs there is a large development community as well as a larger range of choice.

Hopefully this helps ease some of your concerns

Cheers

MrLizard

Every electronic device I have gets at least a monthly update these days. It's actually pretty important that this happens not least because of the ever more complex and hostile information security threat environment, not to mention issues such as changes to DST offsets, changes to statutes that force compliance-related changes, default user behaviour evolving regarding how people interact with software, third parties implementing changes to their APIs at short notice etc... There's more to this than bug fixing.

If Sony were pushing firmware updates every *day*, then I'd have a problem.
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

While it's nice to have it confirmed that Sony will continue to support 2015 tv models I'm kind of dreading mine being updated to marshmallow. It really doesn't have the processing power for marshmallow and would have much preferred to stick with lollipop.