Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Who's to say Marshmallow will require more processing power, look at recent Windows releases such as the latest 10 which evens runs fairly well on early dual core systems, only time will tell of course.

I really don't feel there is a problem with processing power, do a reset and the TV flies for a while then starts to gradually slow down, I think its all of the apps running in the background that slows everything down.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@rooobb wrote:

So @dazworld having sent back your Sony tv 7 months ago what's the meaning of this post? You are  still looking at Sony firmware release but you should check Panasonic ones.

I think it was an excellent summary of his experiences as a user of one of these sets, and the details of how he returned it may be helpful, still, to anyone who wants to the the same.

But any such return must feel like both a success, and a failure, and to look back, not in anger but in sorrow perhaps, is cathartic for the poster, and helps them to achieve closure.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
manuelsal

Yesterday, back from holidays, I saw that was available a new update and so i decided to update my KD-49X8307C.

I was happy and I was hoping that the TV was going to work better and smoother, yes I know I'm a dreamer...

Anyway, TV unusable, slow, multiple reboot didn't fix the issue, I could not whatch Digital or Sat TV.

I had to factory reset, I'm configuring everything again, I'm going to lose another half (if lucky) day because of Sony.

I keep thinking and confirming that I will never ever buy or suggest a Sony product.

This behaviour vs customers is offensive.

Unhappy owner of a KD-49X8307C
profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@adyjay33 wrote:
I reported to a Currys store they have to talk to Sony...I have to put in a
complaint to a sony and get a number... trying to find their contact number
to do so.

Sick and tired of this set now it has to go.... Darren at the Andover
Branch please come up with the goods....

Don't let Currys fob you off with the old one that you have to contact Sony your contract is with Curry's and all warranty is Currys responsibilty. They just tried to sell me a 5 year Curry's warranty and I said what for the TV already has 5 years. Get this the salesman tried to tell me that I would have to deal direct with Sony if the TV breaks as Currys won't sort out any repairs unless I have Curry's warranty. When I challenged this and told him my contract was with Curry's he backed down and said well when Curry's ring Sony I may have to talk to Sony which is competely different. Personnaly I try not to use Curry's if at all possibe as I think they are dishonest.

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@royabrown wrote:

@bobm2t wrote:
Hi Dhanpal.Panwar,
Overall, I am happy with it.

Although, I am a little miffed at the way 'YouView' displays the 'Guide' but fails to let you view the current transmission. All (HD) TVs I had seen before offered this feature. Thinking maybe it'll get updated later, as they mentioned March 2016, there would be major update to the service.

I'm mystified by what you say here. How does YouView not let you view the current transmission, exactly?

if you click on a programme that is current, on any channel of your choice, the programme should be displayed, and it should play,

This is not anything that needs updating, as it should work like this now.

try pressing the On/Standby button on your remote for just over five seconds, and letting the TV soft reboot.

Does this fix it? If not, you may need to do a factory reset.

But before doing that, please come back and describe in more detail your expectations, and what actually happens. Lest it is your expectations that need adjusting, and not the TV.

Most tv's show the current program in a small screen whilst searching through the channel list. With You view you can jump a page at a time why cant the standard program guide do this as it only seaches 1 program at a time

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

@7-Zark-7 wrote:

@dazworld wrote:

Both the software and hardware are proven to be issues on the sets.

The software is unfortunately poor, and the hardware is not powerful enough to handle the software.

If the software is updated, the set will run even slower. Software companies' first priority is looking at the current, new modes as these are the ones being sold.

2015 Android TV's are already a dog; they'll become more of a dog with Marshmallow.

My Android wear smartwatch performance got a little better and more stable with the upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow.  My phone stayed the same - really quick before, really quick after.  I don't see any reason why a Marshmallow upgrade would degrade performance, if anything it should be more stable as it's a refinement of the base OS.

As for performance, for running typical smart TV apps such as streaming clients, EPGs and general UI, the hardware in the 2015 sets should be perfectly OK for 1080p.  I have an Xperia tablet with lesser specs and a 1080 screen and it runs just fine.  Maybe 4k might ask too much performance-wise though, I have nothing to compare it to so I can't say one way or the other.

Assuming Sony keep Android TV as their OS of choice for their smart TVs, the ancilliary apps (Youview, Netflix, Youtube etc.) should keep getting updates.  It'll be quite a while before Android TV apps stop supporting Lollipop let alone Marshmallow which is on the way.

@7-Zark-7 wrote:

@dazworld wrote:

Both the software and hardware are proven to be issues on the sets.

The software is unfortunately poor, and the hardware is not powerful enough to handle the software.

If the software is updated, the set will run even slower. Software companies' first priority is looking at the current, new modes as these are the ones being sold.

2015 Android TV's are already a dog; they'll become more of a dog with Marshmallow.

Please don't post info like this when you don't know the truth. The hardware is planty powerfull enough to run android and marshmellow will not be more hardware intensive than lollipop

Dvdmikeis007
Explorer

My x850c has a weird thing I noticed.

On some black screens you can see a line straight down the middle the left side being lighter by a few shades than the right.

Is this normal?

You can kind of see it in this image

DSC_0430.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dvdmikeis007

How weird.  No its not normal, best contact your retailer to initiate a repair or replacement.

Dvdmikeis007
Explorer

Sigh, I was kinda hoping someone would say it's normal not to go thru the swapping over of the set as its only noticeable at some points once in a blue moon really 

Watching a 2.35:1 film now and the bars are a uniform black 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dvdmikeis007 wrote:

Sigh, I was kinda hoping someone would say it's normal

I can if you want...  :grin:

But if your happy the way it is, then no need to do anything.  My concern really is - long term use.  I cannot predict if it would get worse over time or not.