Join now - be part of our community!

49XF9005 Faulty or is Android just bad?

SOLVED
profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

49XF9005 Faulty or is Android just bad?

Hi all

had my 49XF9005 for just over a week now, and I’m extremely pleased with the picture but I’m having issues with Android, I think?

These are things that keep happening :

1. Sometimes the tv won’t turn on using the power button on the remote, mashing other buttons will eventually get it to come on

2. Sometimes it comes on, loads the home screen or plays live tvgdid until I disabled YV), and then goes black, followed by the Android animation

3. When I switch to HDMI 1 (Apple TV) it also launches one of the installed apps

4. Last night, when playing a film via VLC (streamed from NAS rather than connected HDD) the tv just turned off, pressing the power button turned it back on and the film just continued 

5. Often when I press a button, there will be no response, or it will be extremely delayed 

things I’ve done/installed

1. Installed an IPTV app (this is what launches when I select HDMI1) - sideloaded via X-Plore

2. Installed Kodi (no add ons or anything)

3. Disabled YouView

4. Personalised picture settings 

My set up is very basic, have the Apple TV, Switch and a BT YouView box attached to it - no amps or sound bars 

Thanks for any tips ... suspect a factory reset is going to be required 

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @magic.Alex and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

I'm not sure if you realise a fellow member here called Sony will be

notified you mentioned them in a thread 3 times? :grin:

@MJC_OK you're correct, Sony dont respond on these forums

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@magic.Alex

About subtitles issue, brightening on dimmer pictures, goto Action Menu - Picture - Advanced settings - Brightness - Adv. contrast enhancer ... and set it to OFF.

This must be set on every kind of Input(Digital, Analog, HDMI), video (youtube, Netflix..), also wherever HDR is available, during watching.

Above setting solves 99% issue but it is just a workaround.

Problem exists on all models since ATV1 and Sony genius don't fix. The just don't care since very few countries watch movies with subtitles and not dubbed ones.

I have this issue since 2016 KD-55X8508C.

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

The tv picture is great but I just wish Sony had offered the tv without Android which is awful. OK you would have lost out on the catch up services but its a small price to pay. God help us when Android 8.0 appears!

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

Agree that the picture is fantastic, but the android OS really REALLY lets it down. The worst thing is that everyone complained about it on the last gen of TVs and they persisted with it, without making any drastic improvements (presumably requires more RAM/better CPU)

I gave up and reported it, and now have someone coming to look at mine, though I’m really not sure what they’ll be able to to it it’s an inherent problem with the OS

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

So some came to look at it yesterday, and that’s literally all they did. I told them the issues I was having, and they just said it sounded like it needed a new motherboard (or masterboard, some sort of board) and told me they’d need to take it away for a week to repair it. 

I told them I’d only had it a few weeks, and wasn’t happy with that solution, so I phoned the retailer who agreed and now I have a new TV coming tomorrow!

Fingers crossed that the new one is issue free 

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

New TV arrived on Saturday and on inital set up I noticed it was markedly more responsive than my previous set, with only a minor slow down after I performed the system update (though it seems to have returned to being responsive again now). Thus far, no crashes, no weird apps launching, no unresponsiveness in the menus or when trying to power the TV on with the remote.

So I guess to answer my original question, yes, the TV was faulty, but also Android is still quite bad :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
d000007
Explorer

I've solved all my 49XF9005 issues by shipping it back.

Not just this one issue in this thread but I had a whole load of issues in the first couple of weeks around android.   Too  many to list and the vast majority mentioned by others in various threads on this board so clearly not user error.

I just got very fed up and Richer Sounds gave me the opportunity to exchange it for another  manufacturer which I jumped at - shout out for superb service from Richer Sounds.

As a display the 49XF9005 was excellent which was why I selected it but beyond that it was horrible.

I am still amazed that a company like Sony would ship out something that is very clearly still in beta (and that's being generous!)

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

Yes I agree with you. I have been in communication with Sony Support but I don't think they appreciate the discontent felt by users. Love the tv picture but will I buy Sony again? I doubt it.

profile.country.GB.title
Andyg4536
Explorer

Go settings.

Storage and reset

Internal storage

Cached data

Then click ok

Other than that you can go to Sony select and disable it but you see some of the apps . You can press the TV button and see any apps you save as favourites there. Hope this helps