Join now - be part of our community!

Adjusting the picture

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Adjusting the picture

I have just purchased a KD-55A85 TV and am having problems with adjusting the picture.

I have downloaded the item "Our definitive guide to the perfect TV picture settings" but this isn't really very helpful at all.  I have also saved this file to a USB stick and have plugged it into the TV but even that doesn't seem to be very helpful as the file simply appears a quite a small image in the top left hand corner of the screen.

It makes reference to things like 'Eco' which I cannot find anywhere in the menus.  It mentions keeping the 'Backlight' setting at 7 or 8.  Again, I can't find anything relating to 'backlight'.

When I look at the 'Brightness' section that appears to be set at 'Max' but is actually greyed out and so I can't make any adjustment there. The TV is only really comfortable watching whilst the picture mode is set to 'Vivid' any other setting at the moment is too dark.

Even my remote is different to what is described in the instructions as I don't have 'Options' or 'action' buttons.

Surely there must be some updated instructions somewhere that covers the newer TV's.  There isn't even a decent 'user manual' available anywhere.  In the old days you could always count on getting a good one with the TV but not anymore.

Any help will really be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Hopefully some screenshots are attached.

Taken with my phone so not too brill!1.jpg4.jpg

6.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Here is another image. I have to add that the image of the woman is brighter in this shot than she is on the TV.  perhaps that's to do with the camera, not sure.

IMG_0706.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

It would seem that we have to resign ourselves to having to watch the TV with the picture mode being always set to VIVID.  Any other setting is too dark for us.

My wife commented yesterday that the Samsung in the bedroom offers a far more acceptable picture than the Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Honestly? I don't see anything wrong with the pics 😅 Plus, an OLED experience is always  different from normal LEDs.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bluenose1940 @HannahEd01 

I would try backing off the Contrast from 100%, and see if that improves things.

The instructions you are working off, @Bluenose1940, seem to be very generic; there is no backlight on OLED, as backlight is an LED screen thing; the beauty of OLED is that it uses self-lighting pixels instead, so you never get the light bleed that even multiple dimming zones on LED are prone to.

And who knows what else might be different for OLED, versus ordinary LED?

I would agree, therefore, that Sony should provide a screen optimising configuration guide specific to OLEDs, or point us to one if such already exists.

There are some good tips here, though:-

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-set-your-tv-and-get-best-picture

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Thank you so much for all the input folks, it really is very much appreciated.

I have finally cracked it, it was all down to a 'power button' somewhere in the menu.  I turned the bloomin' thing off and hey presto, a brilliant picture.

Thanks again for all your help.