Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Unfortunately the experience for myself is worryingly similar.

My last Sony TV from 2007 was very good for its times and served nearly without problems for 10 years. The new XD93 is just one dissapointment after another.

I don't know how it is with competitors (I doubt it's all that brilliant), but I can't imagine it could be much worse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Snaeem155 wrote:

After the factory reset on my 75XD9405 I still have random restarts, crashing and juddering on the amazon prime app.

@Snaeem155 - in regards to the Amazon juddering issue, please see this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/amazon-video-juddering-issues/m-p/2300439

In regards to other issues that you are having, please create a new thread.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TobyCG

It's a general problem - all products are generally **** these days, certainly compared to a decade ago.

There's so much competition that they're all pumping out new models as fast as they can with every bell and whistly they can think of to gain a march on the competition.  This leads to shoddy, untested products full of issues and that's before you even start talking about 'planned obsolescence'.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I see it a bit differently. I think there is no money in that business. So everybody does the bare minimum. They know that if they start doing more, then others will too and there will start to be real competition. But they won't earn more money. It will just cost them more...

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Well @Kuschelmonschter - you might be right, large TVs are not selling very well in EU comparing to e.g. US and the technology is fairly complex, average Joe has no chances to get through marketing techno-talk in stores.

On the other hand, I can't get my head around how Sony could pack so bad HW in high-end TVs. Even the simplest solution (unless @Anonymous will delete it) which I did yesterday, Nvidia Shield TV. Works 5 times faster - and works with most things which I would want from smart TV.

Quoting classics, how hard could it be for Sony CEO to grab a phone and call Nvidia? "Guys could you please sell me like 10k of Shield TV hardware boards?" He will surely get better price than I did.

Integrate it with DVB-T/S tuners and and screen, job done, everybody happy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisc383 wrote:

On the other hand, I can't get my head around how Sony could pack so bad HW in high-end TVs. Even the simplest solution (unless @Anonymous will delete it) which I did yesterday, Nvidia Shield TV. Works 5 times faster - and works with most things which I would want from smart TV.

Hiya @chrisc383

I havent deleted anything for a long time (only my own post). I am also not in the habit of deleting anything from these forums (except the odd duplicate post here or there).  The only time I will edit a post is to remove profanities which are against forum rules or rename the title of the thread (in order to create a master thread).

Ever so occasionally, the automatic spam filters kick in and remove a post for whatever reason, especially if there is a link. 

But I am not sure what happened.  If you want me to chase this up further, please say so and ill contact the forum manager to see what went on (if possible). 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

The Nvidia shield costs almost £200 so the hardware in it may well be extremely expensive. Something like a Wetek core also produces super smooth video and costs less than half of the cost of a shield. It uses amlogic to get the smoothness but that may be expensive too. The sad fact is most people who buy a tv just want it to work and aren't bothered about smoothness or performance. That's why Sony or Samsung or lg etc isn't bothered much either. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

What I truely believe though is that Sony ditched a huge opportunity with Android TV. That's what helped them sell more TVs in the beginning. They also got me. They could have become the go-to company for Smart TVs, but dropped that ball by being the worst Android TV integrator around. Even some cheap Chinese boxes provide a better experience.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Tegra chip inside nVIDIA SHIELD is indeed massive. You only really need that for gaming which is what nVIDIA is targeting.

I actually like the thin MediaTek Android TV SoCs. A bit more CPU power would indeed be nice though. And better drivers...

I think what sucks on Sony TV is Sony software...

profile.country.GB.title
HUSH2H

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I think what sucks on Sony TV is Sony software...

you mean Google software