Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

This should be wise people to Disable Firmware Automatic Update these days.

There are reports in Germany and Greece about an Update on their sets that was lost after reboot.

One became suddenly a version of 6.576 or 0.000 ? There was no access to settings an video app behaved strange.

The other was a version of PKG ....0128. Possibly PKG3.707.0128. There were options of xreality pro and local dimming that could be changed.

Both after reboot went back to 3.533

Kulvin
New

wef

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

February 2nd and 4th

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Well , I find that very intresting .

How can the TV just update the firmware and then after reboot go back to 3.5 impossible . Unless you have manually installed new 6.0 from another region ???

Or you have excepted a sopftware update the TV cant just display new items and then vanish after ...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

The first one was:

http://avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/145050-Sony-KD-X850xC-Reviews-%CE%95%CE%BD%CF%84%CF%85%CF%80%C...

last post #179 translation:

"Today there was an update "silently or stealthy or shifty"? I see new options in Brightness menu and Software version pkg0.128. I performed a Restart and went back to previous(firmware)....this had for me options for xreality pro and for local dimming which I could also change"

The other one was:

https://community.sony.de/t5/android-tv/android5-gt-android6-marshmallow-update-sony-fernseher/m-p/2...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Well that's just stupid it can't happened by it self. 

Let's just wait untill it's relased properly. 

Again TV just can't install and uninstall by it self.

Their must be some human input to allow such actions. 

Or you have installed software manually just stupid rumours that's all ignore it. 

I have a KDL -43X8307C the European version update of Marshmallow is not out yet XBR is for US models and Asia models only. 

Unless anyone here has used the XBR marshmallow update from Sony US website and installed it on a 2015 KDL model and can vouch it actually works perfectly???? 

Simple don't do it will brick your TV! 

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I like others on here have posted that we currently have a TV that is working quite well and would hate to go back to the early days and the type of problems that we had if the update to 6 is flawed.

The problem is that by saying we are reasonably happy, we could give Sony a disincentive to continue developing 6 so I for one would like to say for the record that i am far from happy with my set even though I can just about live with it.

I can live with it but my wife wouldn't have a clue and certainly wouldn't be able to work around the problems needed to keep my Sony TV in a functioning state as I am able to.

I have purchased a long line of Sony TV's and never before had an experience like this so if that line is to continue Sony will have to get it right and soon, just having a great picture is nowhere near good enough.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

I have taken the incentive to disable the auto update, then I could allow the brave few to confirm the suitability of the update on most configuration scenarios. I just hope the firmware is better tested than the initial build. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
Will_cain

ditto on that,, by the way does anyone know of a way to read this forum on a mobile phone without the use of an electron microscope?

profile.country.SE.title
vispen74

Yes, buying a phablet will make this forum readable in a phone ☺️