Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

I own a 2015 Sony Android TV. I was told by Sony technical UK last week that is it Google that placed a hold on the Android 6.0 update for 2015 models. Apparently it was set to finally be released by Xmas but yet again was put on hold. 

I was told it is still on for Android 6 to be released next year instead. I was also told they wanted to make sure that most bugs were evened out on their 2016 models first. This does make scene as I own a Sony Xperia Z5 mobile and Sony relased Android Nugart for the XZ mobiles and only just recently relased it for the older X range so it must be the Z series next in the new year so TV 2015 will be in the same manner hopefully. 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Sorry, but that sounds like complete rubbish. Google release their OS systems and its up to manufacturers to put it on their devices in a timely manner, not Google. Sony have had 14 months to achieve this and if the 2015 models have been asked to be held back, explain to me why 2015 models in Asia and North and South America have already got the update? 

Case in point with Sony, after 14 months my TV is still on Android 5.1, yet my phone and tablet are both Nexus devices and are currently on Android 7.1.1

Google have already released Android 7 for TV,  you can download the system images right now, it's Sony's abysmal support that's at fault. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi well yes and no to your reply. 

I also stated that to the guy in Sony UK tech.  I work in IT my self so I have a fair amount of knowledge of.this subject but it's far away from a rubbish answer in fact what was pointed out as with Xperia phones yes US and Asia models have had the update but the model numbers are different and also software drivers are different. The guy at Sony tech quite rightly pointed out that the hardware used in 2015 models use different software drivers and hardware for the in built Wi-Fi and regions for using the AC WiFi 5GHZ is different in the UK and markets. 

He had a point as my Xperia Z5 UK model has a complete different model number to the US Z5 model also licencing regulations. Sony implements the firmware update but Google still need to create the correct software drivers for the correct regions.

So yes you could go ahead and download the firmware update that is now available to download from US Sony Community forums and I have seen it posted their for download but you will brick your TV as.model numbers are different and you would void the warranty as I also arsed Sony UK same question not worth it I have a 5 years warranty with John Lewis. 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

I think you are missing my point. At no point did I say to flash firmware from another region? Also, how does it take a company of Sony's magnitude 14 months to create a system image, when if they had let us unlock the encrypted bootloader like they do with their phones and tablets, we would have had Android 7 ported to it within a week by the community. 

While I agree about different regions requiring slightly different builds (Although this is mainly for the TV side of things) , as far as I'm aware all 2015 worldwide models are using EXACTLY the same mediatek processor and have EXACTLY the same RAM so it can't be that tricky to release updates across regions. 

WiFi drivers or whatever other lame excuse they come up with don't take 14 months to write, unless you are seriously incompetent, which when it comes to Android TV from Sony, that's exactly how they are coming off. 

profile.country.DE.title
capober

Well, the interesting about that is the mismanagement in customer information. There might be many technical reasons why the update is only spread you in America and Asia, but...... WHY DOES SONY NOT INFORM THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT THE UPCOMING UPDATE IN EUROPE ? (who are obviously waiting for a better Android-TV-Version)

Is it ignorance, incompetence or just the fact we are not valuable because we already spent our money for a SONY TV ?

Will I buy a SONY TV again ? Yes, because I am patient enough to wait and believe in things gets better.:smileythumbsup:

Am I satisfied with SONY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP ? No, beause they really don´t care about my concerns.:smileyangry:

Merry Christmas,

Carsten from Berlin/Germany

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi guys well I think it's safe to say we are all very impatient and want Android Marshmallow 6.

We have all raised some very good points regarding this issue. 

I have also only just brought my TV back in September 2016. Thats the 43X8307c and love it 

I'm a Android person and very techy nerdy guy that's what attracted me to this platform I love android. It's fair to say I would also be very very ***** off at Sony if we did not get Marshmallow at all next year's after all I spend several hundred £'s on this TV. Yep it can be laggy as he'll in places and even still has loads of bugs but I will just have to be patient and wait like the rest of us for Android 6 as it has far better memory management system in place than Lollipop that's for. I still expecting issues with Android 6 but it  should still make the TV performance so much better it badly needs an update.

Also check out other thread regarding Netflix button issue recent firmware update between Netflix and Sony have you not noticed no streaming info or audio output when you press that 'i' button. Iv been on contact with Sony few times on this matter with photos as well. It's also happened with LG TV's as well... 

Happy Xmas folks.. 

The more we nag complain may just may help Sony move their ***** in gear! 😎😊

Waspsoton
Explorer

Has anyone flashed the us firmware onto a eu tv??

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Your TV should refuse to install the update, but even if it did flash, when the European version actually gets released you probably wouldn't be able to update to that version as your TV would probably think you are on that version already.

Also bear in mind that as far as I'm aware, the Amazon video app for one is geolocked by country, so even if you had an amazon prime account and logged into the US app, videos are unlikely to play. 

I actually have a US delivery address added to my UK Amazon account so I can buy cheap US keys for playstation/Xbox one games from the US Amazon store, so it may be technically possible via a vpn, but is it worth the hassle?  

I'm guessing the US version also contains apps like hulu/hbo etc and no iplayer, channel5 etc. 

Until (or indeed if we ever) have a working TWRP or CWM for Sony TV's, I would personally be reticent to flash any non sanctioned firmware unfortunately, which pretty much goes in the face of Android being an open platform sadly. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Snap!  I was on the phone to Sony UK tech and spoke to a Guy for around 30min and asked him just that could I flash my UK X438307c with US firmware and his answer was pretty much what you have just stated. 

Firstly if it even worked you would confuse the hell out of the TV and software drivers would be different for all appsamazon Netflix ect. Also you would just brick the Tv and you can't just revert back to previous firmware like you can with mobile phones.you would loss any warranty you had as well. 

Also to note even if it all works and lasts for a year before something went wrong with the TV you would be screwed as you have no warranty would be void. Just not worth th r risk. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES INSTALL A DIFFERENT REGION FIRMWARE.

You will certainly void warranty, and the TV probably will not function correctly.  Different geographical regions also use different UHF/VHF broadcasting frequencies too..

Cheers