Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
Waspsoton
Explorer

Come on Sony u are running out of time to get this released in 2016!!

mbmapit
Explorer

It won't be released this year :slight_frown:

Waspsoton
Explorer

I think if it doesn't I don't think it ever will

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

Marshmallow (Android 6.0) will be released - obviously not this year. Sony EU/UK do have plans to release this update - but ETA is unknown at this stage.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Yep ..Agree with above comments .I also had the Same information given to me a few weeks back from Sony UK technical . 

It wont be this year as I also stated in previous comments on this thread will be next year hopefully early part of 2016 fingers crossed we will be seeing Andriod 6.01 for our Sony 2015 models here in UK and Europe I have been told on sevral occations from Sony UK /Europe .

We need to be just that litttle more pationt guys and girls we have waiting this long a little longer will not hurt .

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Problem is, I have been waiting for 14 months for an Android OS update from Sony for my TV. I'm fed up of waiting for support for a £1000 TV. 

Even the lowest of the low cheapo Chinese tablets have better support than Sony can manage. 

When you can buy an android TV box off Amazon with better specs and a higher operating system than Sony can manage with their TV's for about £40, it makes me wonder what exactly Sony are trying to achieve apart from destroying any credibility they had. 

Sony can't even be bothered to tell their customers when a release date may be on the cards, that's terrible customer service in my opinion. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I can't disgree with you there  :slight_frown:

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

That's all true.

But

There is also another view that should be noticed.

Sony US made a big mistake to release a finally untested new OS.

Here is what someone can find is US forums and others:

• Bluetooth issues. BT headpones (Plantronics and more than 15 models) cannot be paired. Only specific bluetooth profiles are supported and officialy there are no plans to extend support for other profiles. Bluetooth is generally a mess.
  • There is a 4-5 seconds delay for the "volume bar" to show on the screen after you click the remote.
  • Volume bar now rests very close to the bottom edge of the screen and volume On Screen display only works with Sony TV applications and does not work with external Audio system speakers
  • Did not fix the aspect ratio issue of Video App. It is stretching everything vertically.
  • Inability to use external audio system once you power off unit.
  • HDMI 1 will not work anymore for video and TV forces use of HDMI 4 ARC
  • Usual bootloop issues
  • Double Info bars and double icons for apps on Home screen
  • Youtube pause and Daydream issue

I don't know if above issues can be solved with a factory reset and:

Japan did not get update yet:

http://www.sony.jp/bravia/update/?nccharset=EB6685DF&searchWord=X8500c

Asia Pacific(Australia) did not get update yet:

https://www.sony-asia.com./support/product/kd-55x8500c

There is surely something wrong with this update

Waspsoton
Explorer

Would be nice for Sony official to come onto this post and just confirm when it will be out. I bought this tv in the hope I wouldn't need another box on the tv. But it's getting to the point where I might have to

profile.country.GB.title
Zach_N85
Explorer

@MiCal1967 wrote:

That's all true.

But

There is also another view that should be noticed.

Sony US made a big mistake to release a finally untested new OS.

Here is what someone can find is US forums and others:

• Bluetooth issues. BT headpones (Plantronics and more than 15 models) cannot be paired. Only specific bluetooth profiles are supported and officialy there are no plans to extend support for other profiles. Bluetooth is generally a mess.
  • There is a 4-5 seconds delay for the "volume bar" to show on the screen after you click the remote.
  • Volume bar now rests very close to the bottom edge of the screen and volume On Screen display only works with Sony TV applications and does not work with external Audio system speakers
  • Did not fix the aspect ratio issue of Video App. It is stretching everything vertically.
  • Inability to use external audio system once you power off unit.
  • HDMI 1 will not work anymore for video and TV forces use of HDMI 4 ARC
  • Usual bootloop issues
  • Double Info bars and double icons for apps on Home screen
  • Youtube pause and Daydream issue

I don't know if above issues can be solved with a factory reset and:

Japan did not get update yet:

http://www.sony.jp/bravia/update/?nccharset=EB6685DF&searchWord=X8500c

Asia Pacific(Australia) did not get update yet:

https://www.sony-asia.com./support/product/kd-55x8500c

There is surely something wrong with this update

I highly doubt it was not tested, however, bugs are something that exists in any update.

I've been reading the AVForum boards and haven't heard about most of the issues you've posted here. The main issue I read about was with the Amazon app, but nothing about bootloop, HDMI 1, external audio system (What is that one? Does it mean you can't operate the receiver if the TV is off?)

Are they working on fixing these issues for the EU release? Some rough ETA at least would be nice considering they had delayed this update for a year 😕