Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Anonymous

10,000 posts - hello af a milestone, Quinnicus!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Wow, that's bold. Suggesting a Sony product to people who have totally broken Sony products at home ^^ .

Maybe I need a spanking for daring to suggest a Sony product on a Sony forum.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Wow, that's bold. Suggesting a Sony product to people who have totally broken Sony products at home ^^ .

Maybe I need a spanking for daring to suggest a Sony product on a Sony forum.

That's our Quinnicus, always getting to the bottom of things :dizzy:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

Some news regarding Android 6/7 on Sony TVs:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484553703

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No news... link already posted on previous page.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay mmm. I just read the whole article and makes for some very interesting news indeed. I have a Sony Android 4k 2015 model my self and have complained to Sony UK TECH several times. 

I think just maybe now Sony are serious I spoke a lady at Sony UK tech yesterday and she also stated that Android 6.0 marshmallow will be coming soon she could not give a ETA typical and they have been getting alot of complaints regarding the poor and lack or Surport from Sony regarding these much much needed Android updates. 

I take things which a pinch of salt but I have some hope that Sony will finally deliver in 2017...I think and have read that the Marshmallow update has had issues in the US and Asia and got a feeling that it was stopped just before Xmas 2016. 

So okay we are all very ***** off at Sony right now including my self sorry about language their but when we get Marshmallow and then Nugart later on this year maybe that will make up for the horrendous long wait.

I am a owner of a Sony Xperia Z5 in the UK and Sony just realised Android Nugart 7 iv only had this mobile for 7 months now so maybe Sony are finally getting their act together and making 2017 a better year and speedier year for their Android updates. 

I still have hope and gloom dispite the very long delay and love my Android TV dispite the bugs and errors when we get Marshmallow and the Nugart I do very much believe Android TV will be by far the very best and edgy platform out their that why I decided to invest in this TV and a love Android for years well I am a IT Engineer at a Local college 🎓

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marcd51 wrote:
but when we get Marshmallow and then Nugart later on this year maybe that will make up for the horrendous long wait. 

I don't think Sony have claimed that Nougat (Android 7.0) will be this year? :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
chrisc383

My bet on this is, they will rollout 6 in the next few months, but 7.0 will be delayed, obviously, so around CES 2018 they will annouce 2015 models are too old and already obsolete, no Nougat for those.

Shodney

I think it's great that people still have hope for this (genuinely, I do), but I get the feeling there's an influx of people who are fairly new to these Sony TVs and aren't fully aware of the history here.

I've had this TV since 2015, and nearly two years later all I've seen is Sony promising things and not delivering: update release dates constantly being pushed further and further back; promised fixes for bugs not appearing; new bugs being introduced - and all the while stuck with the same appalling perfomance we've had since day one.

If you've been around long enough, you'll remember the 600+ page thread that was deleted (read: censored) because it was full of people complaining about the bugs and constant broken promises. I'll repost it here for posterity - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/m-p/1949079

Also make sure to take a look at the Bugs & Issues sticky which is still on the forum and take a moment to understand what you're seeing. You'll see a list of unresolved bugs at the top (many of which have either been there since 2015, or newly introduced in updates that were supposed to fix things, but didn't), followed by a list of resolved issues. Now look at the list of resolved issues. You'll see that the majority of those were issues with third-party apps or services, and were quickly fixed by the relevant developers. Sony didn't have a hand in fixing any of those things - any issues that Sony *are* responsible for fixing are still sat unresolved.

Unfortunatley the rumour above of Android 7 being released also holds important information in that the 2015 / early 2016 TVs won't get things like YouTube HDR because of a different chipset being used between models, but the later 2016 TVs will. We're already seeing fragmentation here, which means Sony will have to keep two versions of the OS updated. So far they've proven that they can't even maintain one.

I'm sorry everyone, but I would prepare yourself for disappointment. All we can do is keep complaining, keep ringing them up, posting on Twitter, whatever... keep pressuring them and with any luck they might get shamed into actually doing something about it.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Fully agree. Well written!