Join now - be part of our community!

Apple TV App issues

profile.country.GB.title
Gingerninja72
Explorer

Apple TV App issues

[QUOTE="gingerninja72, post: 28056

Hi folks, a brand new XG owner here..have the 49XG9005

My question is around Apple TV: I've got a Firestick & the ATV app installed...and the PQ is pretty bad, it barely looks like, 720, the crispness isn't there, its very dark. I have a load of 4K films I bought in the iTunes sale, but the picture is poor.

I've set the HDMI input on the TV to enhanced. The resolution on the firestick I've tried on auto & 2160 @60hz@60hz, but the picture is not even close to 4K. The TV recognises  the signal as being Dolby Vision and the reduction as correct, but the picture is dull, dark, lacking in definition. Any ideas? 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Are other apps OK on the firestick?  Try a speed test in netflix app on the firestick, or press the info button when playing 4k in netflix as it shows the bitrate

If they're OK then not sure - is it all iTunes content or just dolby vision?

I'm not sure how much apple ha e reduced streaming rates due to covid as don't have any 4k content but netflix and prime are a lot worse than they used to be pre covid

profile.country.GB.title
Gingerninja72
Explorer

Speed all good, recently had a bump to 120mb odd. It does seem to be Dolby Vision content only. Was watching Blue Planet on the inbuilt Netflix app and it looked excellent. Been reading up and nothing I do seems to make Dolby Vision content not dark and with the pop and black levels it should have. Maybe it is the Covid bit rate...eould expect that to be relaxed soon seeing as everything else is! 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Found a thread that some films on ATV are currently playing in HD instead of 4k but with HDR and some can look bad. Not sure if your purchased films are the ones impacted

https://www.avforums.com/threads/are-apple-downgrading-movie-streams-again.2281151/page-7 

profile.country.GB.title
Gingerninja72
Explorer

Cheers will take a look. AV Forums is my go to for most issues. 

profile.country.GB.title
Gingerninja72
Explorer

Update: I've exchanged the firestick for a Roku. And the same issue. Watched Batman Begins last night (which has been confirmed is 4K) and it barely looked HD. I'm going to try 3 more things before returning this tv: see if turning off 'enhanced' on the hdmi makes a difference (if it doesn't, perhaps a fault?). try a different hdmi, and try an Apple TV 4k box. This is incredibly frustrating! 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

IIRC you have to force the roku to the highest resolution through a compatible hdmi socket, and if not a lot of the apps don't play in 4k