Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia Sync settings?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Bravia Sync settings?

I don't get it. These are all possible settings for the Bravia Sync:

Bravia_Sync.png

It says I can power off my devices (PS4) from the TV, or power on the TV from the devices. No problems at all with the latter.

My question is with the former: instead of powering off the PS4 while turning off the TV, sometimes I get the PS4 starting when turning the TV on.

I can live turning the PS4 off manually, not a big deal (although it would help saving electricity if it switched off with the tv if I fall asleep) , but it's very annoying that switching the TV on sometimes I have to grab the controller, wait for the PS4 to start and then power the PS4 off. And things get worse in case of random television reboots. I may not be at home and the PS4 switches on by itself because of the tv restarting (it happened).

That (usually) happens when the last thing I did was using the PS4. But even when after using the PS4 I used some Android apps. Because, at least at reboot, the tv remembers the last input channel used, Android excluded. 

For now, since I don't have an aerial, my workaround has been to set the TV button as HDMI 4. But I have to remember to switch to HDMI 4 after using the PS4 to avoid it happening.

Is it a bug? Working as designed with the settings description messed up (in either English and Italian, though)? I am mad? Well probably. Still, which one?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jecht_Sin

This is normal behaviour of Bravia Sync/HDMI-CEC. The TV will switch on and select the same input source as that was selected upon switching the TV off.  Hence the PS4 will switch on via HDMI-CEC functions if that input source was already in use upon powering the TV down.

Obviously you can disable HDMI-CEC control on the PS4, but loose various handy functions. 

Suggest that this is more of a 'training excercise' in remembering to turn OFF the PS4 manually and before switching the TV off, change the input source. 

I have to do the same when I go to bed in the 'morning' - I use a network media player that is attached to the TV via HDMI, and if a family member turns the TV on in the morning, they get a blank screen (HDMI-CEC functions not fully implemented on media player) - AND then they assume there is a fault with the TV......  Oh and I have to turn it to BBC 1 and set volume to 9 :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

NOTE: anyone interested may jump straight to the end of the post. There is a detailed summary explaining what happens.

Quinnicus wrote:

This is normal behaviour of Bravia Sync/HDMI-CEC.

Hmm. I am not sure. If it was it had to always start the PS4 while switching to HDMI 2 (the HDMI port for the PS4) for any reason. That doesn't always happen. I have just tested it now. I was playing the PS4, turned the PS4 off, checked a thing in Google Play and turned the TV off for lunch.

I came back now, turned on the TV, there was still Google Play, I pressed the back button until it switched back to HDMI 2. The PS4 didn't start. Just to be sure I've just tried rebooting the TV as well and nope, the PS4 didn't power up even if after reboot the TV screen is on HDMI 2.

Yesterday I was testing the VPN bug instead, and after each reboot the PS4 was starting (but it is also true that at a certain point the TV button wasn't assigned to HDMI 4 anymore). Which is why eventually I posted it.

Another test I just did now has been to activate all Bravia Sync devices inthe settings. Then with the "switch" button (the one that allows to go back and forth between the last two input channels) I switched from HDMI 4 to HDMI 2 (PS4) and nothing happened.

Oh, maybe I've found it. If I select HDMI 2 from the channel input list using the button on the top left in the remote the PS4 still doesn't power up. But if I choose Player1(HDMI 2) recognized as PlayStation 4 by Bravia sync it start. Turning off the PS4, changing to HDMI 4 and then HDMI 2 (plain) again the PS4 doesn't start.

Hmm... So it seems to be it. It wasn't on the plain HDMI 2, but on the Bravia Sync Player1(HDMI 2). Which in the banner are named respectively "HDMI 2 PS4" (by me) and "HDMI 2 PlayStation 4" (by Bravia Sync). The first thing I must do is to change the HDMI device names since it can get a bit confusing... At least I'll know which inout is really using.

Ohh... I also see now that the issue is there only if I start the PS4 from the input list as Player1(HDMI 2). And bizarre enough, turning the PS4 off it switches to HDMI 4 (the one associated with the TV button). Hmm, no, it switches to the input that was active before turning on the PS4. Hmm.. No again. Now it works fine! After turning the PS4 off it was in Player1(HDMI 2). I turned the TV off and on and now it is on HDMI 2. Something is fishy in here. I can't manage to turn on the PS4 involuntarily anymore. I had the feeling indeed that it didn't always happen!

Anyway, since the explanation above is quite messy lemmi try to summarize how I think it works:

• Switching to HDMI 2 the PS4 does not turn on
  • Switching to Player1(HDMI 2) the PS4 always turns on (no matter if by choice of because the TV turns on with Player1(HDMI 2) active or else). Doing so you may look for (future) troubles.
  • Switching off the PS4 it changes the input to the previous one (from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 or HDMI 4. I don't use HDMI 3. Yet!).
  • With the PS4 active if i switch the input to HDMI 2 (flat) the tv remote still works via Bravia Sync
  • When the PS4 powers on via Gamepad (DS4)/Power button it uses the Player1(HDMI 2) input. Turning the PS4 off it switches to HDMI 2 (flat) and then to the previous input
  • I tested the above with the PS3 as well and the results are consistent

So basically it happened that I started the PS4 via the TV (at least I think to remember so indeed), and once we do so it may keep doing it. But I am not 100% confident. In case I'll keep you posted.

Still @Anonymous, I would be interested to know if applying the concepts above with your media player you get the same results! :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin - Appologies - I AM WRONG! :innocent:

I have just tested my PS4 connected to KD-55XD8577 via HDMI 3.  I turned off my TV and as expected the PS4 turns off.  Upon turning ON the TV, the input was already on HDMI 3 and the PS4 never turned on.  Its sat there on a blank screen with 'No signal' and HDMI3 on the top info banner.

I will read further your replies and see if I can managed to replicate.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Quinnicus wrote:

@Jecht_Sin - Appologies - I AM WRONG! :innocent:

How you guys (wrongly) say.. No problemo!! :smile:

It's "problema" anyway. lol

I have just tested my PS4 connected to KD-55XD8577 via HDMI 3.  I turned off my TV and as expected the PS4 turns off. 

Wait.. WHAT?! I never managed to switch off the PS4 switching off the TV. What else am I missing? Well, at least the last time I tested I was on 6.0.1. Let me see in 7.0.. Nope. I started the PS4 via DS4, the TV turns on as well, I turn off the TV and the PS4 stays on.

Yup. It's still on. Switching the input from HDMI 2 to Player1(HDMI 2), same thing. Everything about the HDMI in the PS4 is flagged as well.

PS: Actually the PS4 doesn't switch off even if I give the command via the Bravia Sync settings via Action Menu. I am confused..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

I havent managed to get my head around this yet, but can you confirm that you have enabled HDMI Device link in the PS4 settings:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/devicelink.html

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yes, that's what I meant with "everything about HDMI is flagged on the PS4". Otherwise the TV woulnd't turn on switching on the PS4 (which is the PS4 factory settings. I know because I had to tell my brother to enable it). And most important the TV would never manage to turn on the PS4.

Instead.. guess what? It happened again!!! Steps:

• Switch on the PS4 with the DS4
  • The TV turned on as well
  • Played a couple of hours
  • Switched off the PS4 fromthe PS4
  • The TV was still on
  • Opened Google Play to check if the YouTube update reached the store. Answer: no.  (*)
  • Opened YouTube
  • Back button on YouTube to close it
  • Back button on Google Play to close it
  • The TV switched to Player1(HDMI 2)
  • The PS4 turned on

I mean, I get bugs even when I don't mess up much with anything!! Unless it is caused by (*)??

(*) I have disabled Google Movie and so the Google Movie button now opens the Google Play store instead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Following your steps:

------------------------------

• Switch on the PS4 with the DS4 = DONE
  • The TV turned on as well = DONE
  • Played a couple of hours = DONT HAVE TIME TODAY, LOGGED IN FINE
  • Switched off the PS4 fromthe PS4 = PRESSED BUTTON ON FRONT OF PS4
  • The TV was still on = TV SWITCHED OVER TO TERRESTIAL BROADCAST VIA TUNER
  • Opened Google Play to check if the YouTube update reached the store. Answer: no.  (*) = DONE
  • Opened YouTube = DONE - OPENED VIA GOOGLE PLAY
  • Back button on YouTube to close it = DONE
  • Back button on Google Play to close it = DONE
  • The TV switched to Player1(HDMI 2) = DONE (HDMI 3)
  • The PS4 turned on = YES IT DID

This is normal behaviour - as switching to the HDMI3 (in you case HDMI2), Bravia Sync expects a HDMI signal, if not device will switch on.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I don't know which one is the standard behaviour. Because sometimes turning on the PS4 it uses the Player1(HDMI 2) input, the one defined by Bravia Sync, others it uses the plain HDMI 2. In both cases bravia Sync is functional (I can control the PS4 with the TV remote). Again, it isn't always consistent. I am 100% sure because that's what I reported in my previous posts immediately after testing it. 

So switching to Player1(HDMI 2), like when I start an app and then I close it, the PS4 starts. Switching to HDMI 2 it doesn't. And I had the plain HDMI 2 in all my tests before my post, when it just switched to Player1(HDMI 2).

Obviously I like when it uses the plain HDMI 2. I see no reason to turn on the PS4 just because I exit an Android app. Or when I turn on the TV, if the PS4 was the last thing I used..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhh, I now know what you are referring to.

DSC_0007.JPG

Player1[HDMIx] is referring to the Bravia Sync.  The plain old HDMIx is just refering to the input itself.