Join now - be part of our community!

High input lag and duller screen after coming out of Deep Sleep (50X90S)

profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

High input lag and duller screen after coming out of Deep Sleep (50X90S)

Strange bug that’s taken me a long time to understand:

After roughly 20-30 mins in standby, my Sony 50X90S goes into a deeper sleep where it uses 0-0.1 watts. Waking it up from this state leads to a noticeably increased input lag, and the display looks a lot duller. Turning the TV off and instantly back on corrects it.

One workaround is to go into developer settings and enable the “stay awake” option, but as that uses more energy (26-28 watts) in standby mode, it’s not ideal.

I’m on the latest firmware. Any ideas? 

Edit - it may be a problem on my end but as I can't find a way to delete this post, I'll leave it in case anyone has any thoughts.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

Edit - apologies, mistaken post

profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

I think I’ve figured out what the problem is:

When the TV comes out of its deep sleep, it is actually outputting 50hz, even on a 60hz source such as a Roku. Forcing a “handshake” or simply turning the TV off and back on corrects it. 

This explains the perception of lag I’m getting, as 50hz is slightly but noticeably slower than 60hz, and less smooth. 

Not sure if it’s even worth contacting Sony at this point, this TV has given me nothing but trouble.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey, have you tried updating the software of your TV to version 6.7480?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-x90k_x92k_x90s_x94s-series-50-/xr-50x90s/...

Does this happen when no external devices are connected?

profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Yes I have the latest update installed and it happens whether or not there are devices connected.

It may be a problem with the Google OS side of things, as it seems to have improved after I uninstalled an update to the "Google TV Home" app through the Play Store. This took me all the way back to version 1.0.474826084, which my TV first came with. After doing this, the picture quality and responsiveness seems significantly better. Is it just a placebo or am I onto something here?

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey, so was your TV working fine before?

profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

Yes, it worked well for about a week after I bought the TV (April last year). After that, the quality seemed to get worse. I believe it's because an update to the Google OS installed itself without me knowing about it (the Google TV Home app in the Play Store).

I didn't think that was possible, but after reinstalling the update today to test, I'm now convinced. It's easy enough to block the update, but it shouldn't be necessary.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

App updates can be reverted from Settings > Apps > "AppName" > Uninstall Updates

You can try this and check if it solves the issue