Join now - be part of our community!

How to trust Sony's software updates?

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

How to trust Sony's software updates?

I've stuck with Sony for 40+ years but recently my experience has been disappointing.

I bought a 2015 4K tv but it still wasn't as advertised after 9 months.  Software fixes introduced new faults and didn't deliver product description.  Sony refunded in full.

I bought a 2016 4K tv but it died -as others state on here - no power.  Retailer replaced.

The 2016 replacement worked fine until update v3.885.  USB playback disabled.  Constant stream of Android messages.  Sony refunded in full.

I can not fault Sony's seniour support team.  They appear to know the 4K panel is excellent but software and updates can  be unreliable.

So now I bought the A1 OLED on the basis of superb picture quality.  My question is this - updates are important as technologies develop but after so many bad updates how can we trust Sony's updates not to cause problems yet again?  Is there even the most basic quality and beta testing?    Automatic update is currently switched off as this TV (fourth in 3 years) works perfectly and pat experience tells me Sony's updates aren't fit for purpose.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I don't have a Bravia A1, just an XD80, but the Smart (Android) part as the SoC/CPU (MT5891) and most electronics are the same in all late 2016 and 2017 models.

Personally I can tell you that in my experience it has been better to update. Also reading the forum few issues have got fixed. What isn't fixed didn't work fine before either, so..

The major problem is that we depend on Mediatek. And IMO they don't have a great record of making things right. Not that Google is better, seen the new YouTube update disappointment. But I want to try to stay positive anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

They might fix or enhance something, but ALWAYS break something in the process. It is like russian roulette.....