Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55AF8 and ethernet

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

KD-55AF8 and ethernet

Hello,

I have the KD-55AF8 and was wondering if there is anyway to upgrade the ethernet to 1GB? Will a USB to 1GB ethernet adaptor work?  I have a lot of 4k videos taken on my Sony RX100 IV and they are unable stream smoothly over my 1GB network. Kodi keeps buffering and freezes playback.

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately not, yours is a very special case in which the 10/100 mbps LAN you find on any tv is not sufficient. You may try to make use of a 5ghz connection in your router that, if very close to your tv, may reach more than the 100 mbps ethernet cap

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi there,

I am now using a Wifi connection are getting around 180mbps but, Kodi is still struggling to play my 4k Videos 😞

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@sukmudha7  schrieb:

I am now using a Wifi connection are getting around 180mbps but😞

Is this the effective throughput or what is shown as connection speed?

I am using AC WiFi and my connection speed goes all the way up to 866mbps due to the access point being in direct line of sight of the BRAVIA. Effectively I get 250mbps out of it.

Kodi is still struggling to play my 4k Videos 😞

The other thing is the slow SoC inside your BRAVIA. Kodi will struggle badly to play high bitrate content at 2160p60. Are your recordings 60p? Then you better check VLC.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

or rather the stock app video (you just have to setup a DLNA server for it to work). BTW which is the bitstream of your videos?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

With respect to 2160p60 at very high bitrates, VLC does a far better job compared to the stock Video app. With my setup, the Video app struggles badly with very high bitrate video.

It also makes a huge difference indeed how you share your media. SMB on Kodi might not be a good choice. DLNA wasn't the best either. FTP was the fastest in combination with Kodi. VLC+DLNA probably worked the best during my tests. More can be read in my review. High bitrate 2160p60 is a big challenge indeed.

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hi there,

My Netgear R8000P router is in direct line of the TV. 

Using the Netflix app under "Get Help" there is a network tester and the internet speed reported is from 150 to 180 mbps.  I also ran analiti and the internet speed was 220mbps.  

My 4K/1080p Sony RX100IV camera recordings are shared via my Windows 2019 server connected using Cat 6 cables to my NETGEAR switches.  Within Kodi I have mapped an SMB share to the windows network share.  Some of the 1080p plays back fine, but the 4k 60p recordings buffer and fail to playback smoothly and cause the whole TV to freeze up

I tried to use VLC and could never get it to connect to the Windows 2019 share which is protected by a Windows User and password.  Even if I follow the syntax suggested by VLC help i.e. domain;user and pwd it never connects. 

Thanks

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You could set up an FTP server or Servio DLNA on the Windows machine and try sharing over those. SMB has quite some overhead...

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I agree with @Kuschelmonschter  install serviio (www.serviio.org ) on the windows machine and try using the videos via DLNA. Still I did not get how fat is the bitstream of your video... if it is above the network speed you actually have (which I guess it should not) we are talking about an impossible task....

profile.country.GB.title
sukmudha7

Hello,

Looking at one of my videos the Total Bitrate is - 51357 kbps and Data rate - 4984 kbps

Thanks