Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65X8509C picture fault

sam_uk
New

KD-65X8509C picture fault

Hello,

I recently purchased the above model, from date of delivery I have had an image fault which is most visible on faster moving images like football for instance.  I can best describe it as the screen is separated into vertical sections about 5 inches appart.  The green of the pitch will be slighty lighter or darker in each 5 inch section of screen.  There is also a darker black line down the centre of the screen.  If the tv is off when daylight shines on the panel were I expect it to be pure black there is almost a pattern on it what looks like a defect in the manufacturing process.  I am electronics engineer by trade for a medical equipment manufacturer and have repaired hundreds of flat panel monitors some of which manufactured by Sony so I know what im talking about.  I have been in contact with Sony Support via what feels like hundreds of e-mails since purchasing in November 15.  After giving them detailed information time and time again including pictures and a video they agreed to exchange my tv, however only for a reconditioned unit, after purchasing a brand new tv I want another new one and under statutory rights believe I am entitled to this.  They advised if I want a new replacement I should return to my retailer, so I did.  There my problems deepend.  I purchased it from Currys who I have e-mailed several times only to be ignored, I tried ringing several times to be kept on hold for over 30 minutes on a 0344 number to not get to speak to anybody.  Eventually after a week posting on Twitter I received a call from Currys.  They agree the TV should exchanged for a new one but require an uplift number from Sony so they can collect and deliver an exchange.  Has anybody had experience of this?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@sam_uk wrote:
They agree the TV should exchanged for a new one but require an uplift number from Sony so they can collect and deliver an exchange.  Has anybody had experience of this?

Sort of...

What you describe IS a duff panel... No doubt about it.

I wanted 'shot' of my Android set, and Sony exchanged it for one from the 2104 range,  There is no indication that it's in any way 'second hand'...  In fact being in the A/V business myself I'd say it was definitely a new set.. 

Despite my ire at Sony, they've been slow but helpful... To be fair this has been going on over the holidays...

Curry's on the other hand?  - Mine was advertised and sold with a five-year warranty. But no details of this came with the set. Curry's confirmed in writing that the warranty was with Sony. But as I've tried to arrange for the warranty to be transferred over to my new set  Currys ( it would appear) have told Sony it wasnt!  - Sony for their part say the set wasn't on promotion!

Me? I wany my warranty... And will take it to trading standards if I have to....

Previous experiece with Curry's causes me to believe them to be rogues too.  My (now late) octogenearian Mother in law was conned into taking one of their extended warranties; supposed to be new-for-old replacement.  - To cut a long story short their corpulent waster of a manager at the Edinburgh Hermiston Gait store seemed to take great personal pleasure from ripping off an old lady! The warranty she'd been sold wasn't worth alight!  - I hadn't the heart to tell her and just bought her another set elsewhere... 

In your case I'd reject the goods as faulty...  And look for a refund. These sets are riddled with problems anyway.

But, in the first instance your rights are against Curry's...  They sold you the set, it's broken, they replace it! It's that simple.

And if you stick with them, make sure you don't get 'stiffed' for the warranty either!  - And I'd do it all by email ( they won't like this) so you have a WRITTEN record.

profile.country.GB.title
Dhanoa
Explorer

Hi sam_uk,

I too have seen this issue on the TV i have purchased. I was wondering if you could share some pictures so i can compare? Also how did you get on with a replacement? Does the new TV work as expected?

Thanks