Join now - be part of our community!

Streaming video + surround sound

profile.country.BE.title
Fireblader

Streaming video + surround sound

Hi,

I have a Synology NAS which I use to stream video from to my Sony Android TV (8308C).

There is a Sony 5.1 surround system connected to the TV using an optical link.

This system supports both AC3 and DTS.

I have tried several player apps on the TV, but none of them seem to play the AC3 sound.

All I get is PCM Stereo sound at the surround system.

The only way I was able to get surround sound, was when I copied the video file to a USB flash drive and played it using the standard video app on the TV.

Surround was working, however video scaling was incorrect and subtitles don't work.

Apps I have tried:

Synology Video station (on NAS) in combination with:

- MX player (free version)

- VLC player

- Standard Video app

Plex Server (on NAS) with the Plex player app

Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You havent mentioned what model of sound system you have - it might help?  Is there no way in connecting this up via HDMI instead of optical?

In my opinion, try the app called KODI - it works great for me if i am streaming files over the network (although my main viewing is a HDMI connected dedicated media player though).

In regards to the standard video app, there currently is a bug in it that distorts the aspect ratio - see HERE

Cheers

profile.country.BE.title
Fireblader

I'll check the exact model type this evening, but it's an older model. It doesn't have

an HDMI input. Also I don't think the surround is at fault to be honest.

I tried KODI yesterday, with the Plex extention. But when I enable AC3 passthru all I get is 

a humming sound from the surround system. So that doesn't seem to work either.

Plus it's really buggy. Had it crashing 4 times during the one hour I was experimenting with it.

Thank for referencing the video app bug. Seems to be old, more than 6 months. 

It's really ridicilous that it's not being fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ok, in the TVs Sound Settings under "Digital Audio Out" - Try changing the setting to Auto 1 or Auto 2 and see if it makes any difference.

Cheers

profile.country.BE.title
Fireblader

Hi,

Tried both Digital Audio Out option (Auto 1 & Auto 2).

This makes no difference.

With the Kodi app, I just get a humming sound.

With all other apps, only PCM stereo sound.

Rechecked with the standard video app streaming from a USB stick.

The surround sound works perfect in that case. 

But as you know the aspect ration is incorrect.

Funny thing:

When I stream using the standard video app from the Plex Server running on my NAS, I get the surround sound.

Just as when using the USB drive.

However when I use the PLEX app on the TV, I don't get surround sound.

Guess there are bugs all over the place 😉

Is Sony would fix the it's video app I would be a happy camper.

As promised: the model type of the surround is HT-BE1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just quickly - I can confirm that the video aspect ratio on their Video app is fixed in the upcoming Marshmallow update (soon to be released).

Thanks for the model of the sound system - HT-BE1 - WOW, in technological terms this is almost antique :slight_smile:  Possibily released in 2002. 

I dont want this to come across wrong (or a fob me off), but honestly, you have a nice TV - spend a little bit more ££ and get an up-to-date sound system.  The TV (and you) will thank you in the long run - and some of these issues would fix itself.  Just think of listening to your movies in DTS HDMA or Dolby TrueHD etc :grin:

profile.country.BE.title
Fireblader

Good to hear that the an announced update will fix the Video app.

I saw that a new firmware was released a few days ago. It's not installed on my TV yet I saw yesterday.

Will this be the announced update?

Yes I know the surround is old. But why throw away something that works?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand where your coming from :slight_smile:

No, it will not be the firmware that will be released on Monday 7th November.  It will be the next one (no ETA, but soon)

In regards to your direct problem, I am unsure on how to help you.  The only thing I can do is forward this thread onto Sony Support - please advise if you would like me to do so.

Cheers

profile.country.BE.title
Fireblader

Hi, I inderstand there is not much you can do. Appreciate the help.

I guess Sony is aware of the aspect ratio problem in there Video app, so no need to forward this I think.

I'll contact Plex to ask why there app is not handling the surround sound correct.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

There is a workaround if you are watching via USB. Start playing the video file, press the Action button, go to Information and select it. Once information is displayed, click the Back button. The video will now play correctly. This does only work via USB unfortunately.