Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XE9005 oreo 8.0 hdmi arc not working

profile.country.FI.title
HorGrath
Explorer

KD-65XE9005 oreo 8.0 hdmi arc not working

hdmi arc stopped working properly after oreo 8.0 update. Update installed with usb, factory reset after update and all settings adjusted ok. ARC works ok if tv shut down with long press power button, or power cable off. But after normal press of power button (goes to standby) arc doesn't work. I use Yamaha RX-V683 with latest firmware, absolutely 0-problems with arc in this setup in nougat 7.0. Bravia sync is on and doesn't matter if disabled, didn't help either to reset hdmi-control in yamaha settings. I noticed that when I put tv to standby, amp says "mute on" then "mute off" and then it shuts down. Amp always powers on after tv powers on, so bravia sync / hdmi control works ok.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

Ya, Sony has lost me as a customer on TV and phones.

Good hardware but tarble software and customer support.

I will never buy a Sony product ever again and I'll make sure my friends and family do the same well.

If my store was still around, I would have demanded them to returning this pile of s*** back. This TV is defective becouse of the software is broken.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

You don't have to take it back to the store you bought it from, you can send it back to Sony. I have had to do this 3 times already and the store I originally purchased it from didn't have any part in this. My tv might have to go back for a full refund next time because I am now experiencing this problem when playing hdr content (see pictures). But after speaking to Sony and sending them the pictures, they told me that this is "normal" playback for hdr content. I argued that it wasn't and they then got back to me and told me that the engineers said that the grey borders are due to a system limitation and cannot be fixed. The tv is supposed to be hdr certified but it can't even display the black letterbox on a film shot in wide screen. This issue, along with the hard drive unmounting issue, when mounting as internal storage and as a recording device, which was another reason I bought the tv, now arc is also broken as well, I'm struggling to find a reason to keep the tv. I can't watch hdr, i can't record TV, my little boy can't play the games he wanted to play due to insufficient storage space and it can't be expanded correctly and now my home theater system no longer works correctly, I'm very patient but this really is a step too far now.  Don't get me wrong, I have always been pro sony and always buy sony products, my home theater system is sony, I have owned every PlayStation they have released, including the psp, every smart phone I have owned has been sony, I even have two of their party speakers, but after the issues I have faced with this tv and the lack of help I have actually received from their customer services, I feel like I might be purchasing an alternative brand in the future. Hdr grey letterbox issueHdr grey letterbox issue

Hdr grey letterbox issueHdr grey letterbox issue

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

Wow them grey HDR bars will make me go insane.

I play a lot of 3:4 content.

I know when Samsung bring out VRR and hdmi 2.1 ready TV at a good price am moving over.

Unless Sony fixes all these problems

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

So it's April now, anyone heard anymore on the subject or has it been forgotten about like the hard drive issue??

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

I get messages every week saying the same thing.

"Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-49XE9005, please be advised that the issue is being investigated by Sony and it will be resolved soon.

Should you have any further enquiries, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Yomna"
profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Yeah I used to get those messages, then it fizzled out to nothing. They've never been able to fix the hard drive problem and it is exactly the same thing as the arc issue from what I can gather. The hard drive would be working fine in the evening but the next morning when I switch the tv on, the hard drive would come on (little blue light flickering and noise from it spinning) but all my apps and TV recordings would be gone. Everything was still connected as per the evening before but the tv was no longer using the hard drive for some strange reason, almost as if it didn't know that it was there anymore. Sony did look into fixing it and then nothing ever came of it. I was then told it was the hard drives fault (all 11 of them) so don't be surprised when they tell you that your sound system is not compatible

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

They can not.

My is officially supported Sony system.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Well it looks like they have fixed the arc issue, along with dts pass through and kodi 18 has fixed my 4k grey border issue. Latest update is on the Sony website and available to download and install via USB stick. I've tested it a bit and everything actually seems to be working

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @SnAkEs1210,

Thank you for having patience while work was in progress on the fix, and specially for taking time and sharing your feedback. We greatly appreciate it since it demonstrates your contribution to the Sony Online Community not only when issues arise but also when issues resolve.

It would be nice as well to hear your feedback on the external storage issue as far as the Oreo May update is concerned.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
MadAsh69
Explorer

I personally found the Quality of Sony's Customer Services is WELL Below Sewage Level and one of the VERY WORST I have ever come through, and I equally found the POOR Quality of the Images Produced by their Camcorder is VERY SHOCKING and VERY DISTURBING indeed.