Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W808C Dolby/DTS passthrough to avr?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
xexets
Explorer

KDL-50W808C Dolby/DTS passthrough to avr?

Hi all! I am trying to set up my in-law’s system.

The devices are:

Sony KDL-50W808C <->HDMI ARC <-> Marantz NR1506 avr <- Sony Blu-ray player

So: Netflix on the TV outputs Dolby digital to the Marantz, Amazon Prime on the TV outputs Dolby Digital to the Marantz, the Sony Blu-ray player does the same.

However any app on the TV (tested with Kodi, SPMC and VLC, tested with different files) outputs ONLY stereo PCM to the Marantz.

I checked all settings in Kodi, SPMC and VLC and they are all set to allow AC3 pass-through.

Under the TV settings I cannot find anything that might suggest tweaking of pass-through via HDMI ARC (only some settings concerning the optical out).

I suspect this might be a limitation of the Android TV installed on the Bravia (7.0), however I don’t understand why Netflix and Prime would push DD+ via ARC without issue if this were an Android limitation.

Can anyone help please?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

this are settings that work on MM and KODI 18 under settings/system/audio (set view to Expert)

first section you can leave on default but number of channels must be 2

under audio passthrough

enable passthrough

enable AC3 receiver

enable transcoding (this will convert DTS to DD)

enable E-AC3 reciver

Now, I don't know what works or not on Nougat since I never bothered with it after MM turned out as worst than lollypop.

Also, AFAIK, they fixed DTS on Oreo so there should be more options under passthrough but not in your case.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Native player can output DD and DTS.

Kodi can do DD but no DTS. I can't tell you exactly how to set up kodi for that since I'm not at home but you can find that easily on kodi forum. If not, I'll post that at some point.

profile.country.GB.title
xexets
Explorer

Thanks, great, that’s good to know. Then there must be some setting that I am missing I’ll try also with the native player. I could not really find anything on Kodi forums to set it up. I mean nothing I haven’t tried already! If you could when you have a moment post your settings I would be most grateful, thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
xexets
Explorer

I can confirm native player passes through DD+ to the AVR no problem on the same files that don’t work on Kodi and VLC therefore it must be a problem in their setting. I can’t figure out how to set them up though! Thanks

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

this are settings that work on MM and KODI 18 under settings/system/audio (set view to Expert)

first section you can leave on default but number of channels must be 2

under audio passthrough

enable passthrough

enable AC3 receiver

enable transcoding (this will convert DTS to DD)

enable E-AC3 reciver

Now, I don't know what works or not on Nougat since I never bothered with it after MM turned out as worst than lollypop.

Also, AFAIK, they fixed DTS on Oreo so there should be more options under passthrough but not in your case.

profile.country.GB.title
xexets
Explorer

Thanks that did the trick! I had all settings the same as you except the number of channels was 5.1 instead of 2.0! Now Kodi passes through DD+ signals fine!

Thank you very very much.