Join now - be part of our community!

Lip sync and "disconnected" sound - KD49XG8196BU

profile.country.GB.title
Rory101
Explorer

Lip sync and "disconnected" sound - KD49XG8196BU

Scarily this thread from 2016 seems exactly the same as the issue I have: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/lip-sync/td-p/2252004

Watching Freeview (OK, YouView) channels and listening on the internal speakers there's a slight, but disconcerting, lip sync error, coupled with the feeling that the voices aren't coming from the mouth of the person speaking.

The TV is on a stand in a corner, so I selected "stand" for its location.  However this seems to throw the sound into the corner, making it very muddled.  Switching to "wall" is loads better but of course only slight errors are quite maddening!

Based on the thread from 3yrs ago, I'm wondering if this is just how Sony TVs are.  Is there anything I can try, before it goes back?   I will say we had a cheapy Toshiba (Vestel) TV for the last few months and the one thing that did really well was sound!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Rory101,

Welcome to the community.

I'll see if I can track down an answer. Maybe someone else in the community has an idea in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi Rory101,

Could it be that the current firmware version isn't up to date? The latest version for your TV is available in this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg80xx_x80xxg_xg81xx-series/kd-49xg8196/d...

I'd suggest that you try to reset the TV if the same problem remains: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49xg8196/artic...

Cheers,

Vanilla_

I have been using a mac for the last 3 years. But never faced any issue with that. But last week I was facing an error on my mac. It was basically an iTunes error. To be precise it was iTunes sync error 54. Can anybody please tell me how to fix that error?

profile.country.GB.title
Rory101
Explorer

Thanks for that.  The firmware is up to date - I think it checks and updates itself on initial boot up, but I checked and it's the latest version.

I've reset the TV a few times.

After initially finding the TV sounded better with it set to wall mount mode, I've now found that with all settings such as ClearAudio, Surround etc turned off that it sounds better - it terms of the sound appearing to come from the person speaking - in table top mode (it is table top mounted).

However I'm finding watching anything where the main focus is on the person speaking to be quite painful - if it's not spot on it's like watching something where the voices have been dubbed.

I think, per my original post, it's interesting that other people have seen this on other Sony models - I wonder if it's a Sony "thing"?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Re: @JohnMillar02 

Watch Out! Scam/Spam/possible unsafe website.

Do not click the link!

Mods, please delete the unsafe posting from this person.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi again,

Have you tried testing any different content, for example: "Sound from internal apps, connected HDMI devices"?

Regards,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
Rory101
Explorer

Just to 'close this out' - bought a Sonos Beam and the sound is now perfect, with clear and 'connected' dialogue on normal TV. Sounds pretty good at higher volumes watching films too.

The TV itself  was a bit of nightmare last weekend when we had grandchildren staying - it seems to get into a tizzy if they flick between menus too quickly, and a couple of times the Disney app would open, but wouldn't play anything. Needed the TV to be rebooted. Also it not responding to channel change for about 10 seconds after being turned on becomes quite noticeable with young kids!

Overall I'm pretty miffed to have spent getting on for a grand on the TV and soundbar, when the £250 Toshiba TV had a better UI and sound that worked fine. The picture wasn't very good on broadcast TV, but not unbearable and with only one TV in the house we'd got used to it.   I wouldn't recomment these Sony Andoid TVs to anyone.