Join now - be part of our community!

Optimum Bravia Settings

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-J-N
Explorer

Optimum Bravia Settings

Hello all,I've just bought a Sony Bravia 55xd8005 tv and having upgraded from a 1080p LG Plasma set I am a little confused about the myriad of settings and what they even mean,these are my setting for standard tv viewing.

Picture mode-standard

Auto picture off-site

Brightness-35

Colour-60

Light sensor-on

Advanced settings:

Contrast-max

Gamma-0

Black level-50

Black adjust-medium

Colour-60

Hue-0

Colour temp-warm

Live colour-medium

Sharpness-60

Reality creation-manual

Resolution-50

Motionflow-custom

Random noise digital noise-auto

Smoothness-3

Clearness-0

Film mode-auto

I also have a ps4 (base model) connected with hdr 10 activated on the set and all's good with that,please advise if my settings are way out and what if anything I am getting waaay off the mark with.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @Mike-J-N

No one can tell you if your settings are right or wrong, only you are the judge of that.  Each TV can be slightly different, each person has different picture preferences and each environmental situation is different (i.e. brightness of room etc).

A couple of tweaks that you could make:

• I personally hate the light sensor, so that gets switch off immediately.
  • Im not a big fan of live colour either - it artificially adds extra colour which is un-naturnal

My advice is to right all your picture settings down and slowly tweak them over time.  This ensures that if you dont like that setting, then you can change it back.  Also helps when restoring your settings after a factory reset and you will do at some point.

Sony has also created a FAQ/Guide in order to help you with picture settings too.  See:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/our-definitive-guide-to-the-perfect-tv-...

Cheers

PS: When using the PS4, remember to set the TV to GAME mode.  :slight_smile:

PPS: I have also moved your post to the Android TV section too.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have a 49XD8099 and I can tell you that, at least in HDR, Max Contrast is wrong. Check an HDR video showing the Sun in the sky, and instead of the circle you get the light spread all over the screen. In my tests it shows all details with Contrast 72-73. Or if you have FF XV you can check it in the game's brightness settings with HDR enabled. With max contast you shouldn't see the cactuars. Or download this video, and play it with Sony's Video app. It's HDR. When you get the full moon pause it and reduce the contrast. You'll be surprised! :slight_smile:

The other parameters are more or less what I use. I usually keep the brightness lower (15-20) to reduce a glooming, washed effect in some scenes in the movies. Especially HDR movies. But in others with an higher brightness they look better. Otherwise in those movies I use the Light Sensor ON. But I have to switch it manually each time. Usually it's off.