Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AG9 Apps Installed

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Sony AG9 Apps Installed

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 65" AG9. I live in the Netherlands but would like to install the BBC iPlayer app (and possibly other apps that allow me to view UK content).

The TV came pre-installed with the usual apps, Netflix, etc. but does not have BBC iPlayer and it's not available from the Google Play store.

I understand that UK TV's come with Iplayer.

Do you know how I could install the app? I presume it doesn't come installed by standard because I'm in the Netherlands, if that's the case is it because the TV has NL firmware? Or is it checking the region via the internet connection, etc?

I have a paid VPN subscription so can tunnel through the UK, I downloaded ExpressVpn to the TV - that helps with region checks in Netflix but isn't resolving the iPlayer problem.

Thanks

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Firmware is the same in all europe now (no more a specific UK version). Resetting to factory setting the tv and connecting it to a UK internet provider it will the same as if you buy the tv that day in UK AFAIK (never did it myself)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you aware that you are asking for a workaround to something that should not be permitted in any case?

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Hi,

I wasn't aware that it should not be permitted - the installation of any app is generally not tied to a region (viewing the content through the app may have licence restrictions).  Other devices allow you to readily change the store you're connected to. I can change my iPhone store to the UK from the NL, etc.

And when I return to the UK I'm trying to understand how this works. Is the firmware setting the region? The connected Google Account? Some other method or combination, etc.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What I mean, whatever restriction and method to apply it is decided by the owner or by Sony for a specific reason and you are asking here in an official forum how to bypass it. In Italy I do not have access to BBC iplayer from UK or HULU from US or US Netflix account. You can bypass those, but it is not a topic permitted in this forum.

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Thanks, I appreciate that specific questions on bypassing the location might not be accepted on this forum.

I would still like to understand how it works though - as I mentioned when I return to the UK I would like to benefit from the UK content and not the NL. 

Without understanding how this actually works I can't even make a decision on whether the television should relocate with me.

Thanks

Nick

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Firmware is the same in all europe now (no more a specific UK version). Resetting to factory setting the tv and connecting it to a UK internet provider it will the same as if you buy the tv that day in UK AFAIK (never did it myself)

profile.country.GB.title
nickeggington

Excellent, many thanks.

Obviously a factory reset will clear any custom settings I've made and I'm considering a professional calibration so will need to make sure I have everything documented to re-apply.

Nick

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Absolutely! It will clear everything (unless you agree on google storing your passwords and it will connect automatically to the apps once reinstalled :wink: ). It is good practice in any case to have a detailed list of changes made by the calibrator since it may always occur that you loose them or maybe you want to apply them to a different profile.