Join now - be part of our community!

Sound bar, optical audio help

profile.country.NZ.title
evo1234
New

Sound bar, optical audio help

I have a JBL sound bar connected to a Sony bravia (kd65x8500) TV via optical audio cable. The problem I have is the sound bar has an auto on feature when it detects a signal through the optical audio cable. The TV always sends a signal through the audio cable even when it is in stand by mode so I can not turn the sound bar off because it detects that signal and turns its self back on. I have tried all the settings on the sound bar and TV I can think of and nothing works and I have contacted JBL and Sony tech support and no help there either. Using hdmi arc is also not an option unfortunately. I was wondering if anyone knows of a device or a way to block or switch off the optical signal when the tv is turned off (ideally short of unplugging the cable each time) when the tv and sound bar are turned off or a way to stop the tv sending the signal that keeps turning the sound bar on. Thanks in advance for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
KesGreen
Explorer

I came here to ask the same thing. It's odd that the optical output remains on. I suspect the only thing is to leave the soundbar on all the time (or just turn it off manually), but it can't be too hard to add an option in a future firmware build.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @evo1234,

have you considered unplugging the TV or using a remote controlled outlet (there are plugs you put in between the wall-socket and the device you want to disconnect from power)?

There are versions switch-able with a remote or via smart home devices.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey all, the TV goes through many stages of standby, so it will keep sending an uncontrollable electrical signal. Consider unplugging the TV or the other connected device maybe.