Join now - be part of our community!

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

I've added a comment to the FAQ's on USB recording as someone over there has mentioned this problem, but I feel that this warrants a thread of its own.

Having got to grips with how to record onto a USB drive I am finding that the replayed images are very slightly and subtley jerky. What might be a smooth zoom in and out, or a pan left to right on the original broadcast is replayed as if there is a random dropped frame every few 10's of milliseconds. It is subtle but hugely annoying and renders the USB record feature useless imo. The problem is identical on recording both HD and SD broadcasts.

There has been another identical report of this on a different model over in the FAQs section with no outcome or resolution. None of the TV settings appear to satisfactorily correct this problem.    

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Anonymous @Garymjh @Mooly01

I can confirm same issue for me too.

Previous firmware could record even Satellite 4K UHD and playback was PERFECT. New firmware record and  playback is impossible.

Happens also on records that were done with previous firmware. Now they are UNPLAYABLE.

And it's NOT the HDD.

[Update]

A reboot with HDD connected on USB "solved" the issue.

Another thing that I noticed was that when previously tested, before reboot, I had this st**pid message from ES File Explorer, although everything is unchecked in ES settings. This second test did not give ES message advertisement box.

https://community.sony.gr/t5/android-tv/android-tv-pop-up-advertisements-spam/m-p/2218462#M960

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

A lot of useful information here in piecing this together.

The video by Quinnicus shows the problem but if its anything like mine then the effect is much more pronounced when viewed in real time. As you say, the camera doesn't capture the jerking quite as we see it for real.

The post by MiCal1967 seems to confirm that this may even be a problem introduced by later firmware. I tried a reboot on two occasions with different HDD's but it didn;t seem to have any effect. 

I mentioned in the thread Quinnicus linked to about those having this issue registering a support case with Sony. Doing that is the only way this problem will come to somebodys attention.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mooly01 - You're Welcome :slight_smile:

@MiCal1967 - Rebooting the TV with the USB drive connected, failed to resolve the juddering playback.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm going to reply back to Sony support later. Just trying to think of a good reply that reinforces the point home that this seems to be a fairly widespread issue rather than a non-problem that no-one would notice.

Just for interest... I was looking for program material that really shows the problem to full effect and found that 'Homes under the hammer' is perfect as it has lots of slow panning camera action.    

profile.country.GB.title
timcock
Explorer

I have judder as described above, with a KD43-XD8305bu combined with a Maxtor M3 1TB portable HDD (USB3.0, 5Gb/s). Freeview HD when played back is largely watchable and sharp, but judder on panning and on scrolling text is very noticeable. Yesterday I called Sony Support and they emailed a list of HDDs that they consider to be compatible (see below). Armed with this, can anyone spot any parameter (e.g. writing speeds) that the Maxtor M3 might be deficient in?

From Sony customer support:

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

As per our conversation, please check the compatible HDDs below:
For 2016 Android TVs
Manufacturer Model Type name
Sony HD-U3
Sony HD-Q3
Sony HD-E2
Buffalo HD-LLU3 HD-LL4.0U3
Buffalo HD-AVSU3 HD-AVS2.0U3/V
Buffalo HD-PLFU3 HD-PLF2.0U3
Buffalo HD-AVQ3 HD-AVQ3.0U2/V
Buffalo HD-PNFU3-C HD-PNF3.0U3-GBC
I-O Data AVHD-AUSQ AVHD-AUSQ3.0
I-O Data HDEL-UTB HDEL-UT2BRB
I-O Data AVHD-PUTSQ AVHD-P2UTSQ
I-O Data HDCL-UT(UTB) HDCL-UT4.0
I-O Data AVHD-AUT AVHD-AUT2.0
I-O Data HDPC-UTC HDPC-UT2.0KC

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Abdullah

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited
A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surry, KT13 0XW
Registered company number: 2422874

profile.country.GB.title
timcock
Explorer
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is Sony's 'stock' answer.  And it might come to ultimately that - a 'get out clause' of not officially supported HDDs.  Which is a load of rubbish IMHO, but... unless someone has one of those HDDs to test this its hard to confirm whether it is indeed our HDDs/USB drives or something else.

PS: I have no £££ to purchase a 'supported' HDD.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I tested it myself as per @Anonymous suggestion and I have to say that actually there is a very slight stutter on the recorded version that I could check only against the scrolling news on a news channel... never ever noticed it on my own recording (movies, tv shows and football match)...

Using an XD8305 combined with a WD mypassport USB3 500GB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @rooobb

Now that you are aware of it - your eyes will be perminantly drawn to it !!  LOL

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I agree, it's nonsense. A year ago they said the wd my passport was the
officially supported drive, now they're saying the only drive which
supports 2015 tv model recording is a drive which is impossible to buy.
Really sly and evasive of them. They have a problem which they can't
resolve and so make up rubbish about "supported" drives.