Join now - be part of our community!

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

When are we going to get Google Assistant?

I have a ZD9 and we was surpos to get the full Google Assistant update last year. But it's still not here.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16617780/sony-android-tv-google-assistant

From Nov 17 2017

"Sony says the 2016 editions of the XBR - Z9D, XBR - X800D, X BR - X750/X700D, and all 2017 Sony Android TVs will have the full Google Assistant experience after downloading the software update, which is available today"

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Sorry, I've no details on this. I would suggest keeping an eye on the Sony website for the latest updates.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

From Nov 17 2017

"Sony says the 2016 editions of the XBR - Z9D, XBR - X800D, X BR - X750/X700D, and all 2017 Sony Android TVs will have the full Google Assistant experience after downloading the software update, which is available today"

This was only true for the U.S. GA will come to some parts of Europe in 2018. At least that's what Google said at the I/O conference, see here. I read somewhere that it will be part of Sony's Oreo update. But I can't find anymore where I read this.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Kuschelmonschter  schrieb:

I read somewhere that it will be part of Sony's Oreo update. But I can't find anymore where I read this.

OK, found the reference, see here, it is in German though, sorry for that...

davedoconnor
Explorer

So am I right in saying that:

> if we have Amazon Echo (not made by Google), we can use it to control our Android TV (Google software).

> we cannot yet use Google Home (made by Google) to control our Android TV (made by Google) in Europe.

Is my understanding correct? As this seems crazy.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

From Nov 17 2017

This was only true for the U.S. GA will come to some parts of Europe in 2018. At least that's what Google said at the I/O conference, see here. I read somewhere that it will be part of Sony's Oreo update. But I can't find anymore where I read this.

Thanks dude.

I see no reason why we don't have the update already.

We know that Sony hates doing updates as much as possible.

I'm thinking of sending my TV back under the "miss-sold" law.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I think that also Google has not yet made GA available in those contries. I don't think that it is related to Oreo at all...

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Looks like we are not, 2018 models only? Maybe a blessing in disguise.

https://www.avforums.com/news/google-assistant-launching-on-2018-sony-android-tvs.15032

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sounds weird. All Android TV sets since 2015 come with a voice enabled remote. So there is no excuse in not putting it on all sets. In fact, in the U.S., all ATV2 based models have been updated for Google Assistant, so all TVs since mid-2016.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Sounds weird. All Android TV sets since 2015 come with a voice enabled remote. So there is no excuse in not putting it on all sets. In fact, in the U.S., all ATV2 based models have been updated for Google Assistant, so all TVs since mid-2016.

Call me crazy but I would rather see the platform being improved in otherways, with performance tweaks and other such things than adding more bloat on top of what is already bloated which I know is very unlikely. Not something I am fussed about either way. Maybe in Europe its all about the 2018 models now, wasn't there another German article about the 2018 models also getting HDR10+?

Sony are probably just in holding mode for the old models now.