kmallet
New

X-tended Dynamic Range vs HDR

Hello,

On the pages

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8500c-series
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x9105c-x9005c-series

there is fine print that says:

2) X-tended Dynamic Range not available on this model.
3) This feature (HDR) will be available via a firmware update within 2015.

Isn't X-tended Dynamic Range the same as HDR? Does this mean that X-tended Dynamic Range will be available after the firmware update? Could you please clarify?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as i understand it - XDR (Xtended Dynamic Range) was Sony's proprietry resolution at increasing the contrast ratio/colour gamut before the standards were agreed and ratified of the HDR (High Dynamtic Range)

XDR is not compatible with HDR.  Hence the change over to the now standardised HDR.

Cheerd

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as i understand it - XDR (Xtended Dynamic Range) was Sony's proprietry resolution at increasing the contrast ratio/colour gamut before the standards were agreed and ratified of the HDR (High Dynamtic Range)

XDR is not compatible with HDR.  Hence the change over to the now standardised HDR.

Cheerd

Pveliki
New

So what you're  saying is that as i bought a premium sony tv in 2014 kd 65x9005b and paid a fortune... now all the features promoted are not supported anymore ... will never buy sony again... zlwaus thd same story.... no updates, no support, 1/2 standards are abandonned...

It's like iphone sold a phone to add a memory card that does not exist... this is ridiculous. .. i hope you'll pass the info to your boss... and she to her boss ... etc... so you people realize how frustrated are the customers. All people i know stopped buying sony for thzt reason. If you care about yoyr company, your job, you'll let them know... sdressed to sony support.

awndm1971
New

Sony needs to please loyal customers. I bought the x900b in 2014. Sony could at least build a HDR panel that can be plugged into the x900b and similar units to produce HDR and even Dolby Vision pictures.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Pveliki wrote:

So what you're  saying is that as i bought a premium sony tv in 2014 kd 65x9005b and paid a fortune... now all the features promoted are not supported anymore ... will never buy sony again... zlwaus thd same story.... no updates, no support, 1/2 standards are abandonned...

It's like iphone sold a phone to add a memory card that does not exist... this is ridiculous. .. i hope you'll pass the info to your boss... and she to her boss ... etc... so you people realize how frustrated are the customers. All people i know stopped buying sony for thzt reason. If you care about yoyr company, your job, you'll let them know... sdressed to sony support.

That is not what he said, did you even stop to think before you posted that drivel? Technology changes all the time, the TV still functions as designed. It just not compatible with latest standard due to the hardware being 3 years old! At the time the TV came out HDR was not even fully standardised.