Join now - be part of our community!

Transfer video from handycam DCR-HC18E pal to windows 10 pc

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
henewsh
Explorer

Transfer video from handycam DCR-HC18E pal to windows 10 pc

hi, can anyone help re the above? i tried to use imovie in windows 10 but the pc/program cannot see the camera. i have also windows 8, and XP on other machines if a driver is available. the movies are on tape. many thanks

heather

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @henewsh,

@henewsh  schrieb:

hi, can anyone help re the above? i tried to use imovie in windows 10 but the pc/program cannot see the camera. i have also windows 8, and XP on other machines if a driver is available. the movies are on tape. 

imovie in Windows? I did not even know that there's a version for Windows at all.

Anyhow, the best way would be using a computer which has got a Firewire (called i.Link by Sony, IEEE1394 is another name for it) connector. In that case your Win XP machine would be the best choice (provided it has got a Firewire connector) as Firewire is not supported anymore by Windows (since Win 7 or 8).

Would be nice to clarify this at first before we continue talking about how to transfer the videos. I don't own a similar camera model hence I cannot say whether transferring videos via USB would be possible at all but if so I'd say that in this case you'd be better of with an older operating system like Win XP as well. For a camera old like yours it's rather unlikely to find suitable USB drivers for modern operating systems.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @henewsh,

@henewsh  schrieb:

hi, can anyone help re the above? i tried to use imovie in windows 10 but the pc/program cannot see the camera. i have also windows 8, and XP on other machines if a driver is available. the movies are on tape. 

imovie in Windows? I did not even know that there's a version for Windows at all.

Anyhow, the best way would be using a computer which has got a Firewire (called i.Link by Sony, IEEE1394 is another name for it) connector. In that case your Win XP machine would be the best choice (provided it has got a Firewire connector) as Firewire is not supported anymore by Windows (since Win 7 or 8).

Would be nice to clarify this at first before we continue talking about how to transfer the videos. I don't own a similar camera model hence I cannot say whether transferring videos via USB would be possible at all but if so I'd say that in this case you'd be better of with an older operating system like Win XP as well. For a camera old like yours it's rather unlikely to find suitable USB drivers for modern operating systems.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
henewsh
Explorer

Dear expert

Many thanks indeed for your help. It was not iMovie as you suspected but the Sony ‘Play Memories’ programs. However we did manage to get the videos into the pc using VirtualDub and then playing them via ArcSoft ShowBiz.

Best wishes and thanks again.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @henewsh,

glad to see that you've found a solution to your problem!

Cheers

darkframe