Join now - be part of our community!

Set up options for HT-CT260H and hissing

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Set up options for HT-CT260H and hissing

Hi

First of all lets mention the hissing on this to see if this is a problem or normal.  It sounds as if, at low volume or say you go to the analog input with nothing playing there is a high pitched hiss.  It sounds as if it is coming from just the right speaker.  Is this a problem, or normal as a noise will always be there when powered up?

I have connected it up using a optical lead which leads me to the set up options.

My TV is a 40EX503 which I have heard does output true 5.1 etc from the optical out from a HDMI source.  Apparently very few TV's do this...

I had originaly set this up to try it out using HDMI, this was good as power up/down and volume could all be done using the same remote (Virgin Media Tivo) I then set it up using an optical lead.  Then I found out about ARC which the TV supports.  Here are my devices.

Virgin Media TiVo - HDMI and Optical

Apple TV - HDMI

Sony Blu Ray - HDMI, Optical and Coaxial

Wii - Componant - (leave this out for now I guess)

If I plug everything into the TV using HDMI and then have one HDMI to the ARC on the tv and the ARC on the sound bar would all the audio be set up correctly or would it be best to us the HDMI in and out of the Sound Bar.

HDMI would be good as mentioned it will link up well to the Sony TV, however if optical gives better audio in a different set up like optical out from the Blu Ray then I will go that way round.

Sorry this is quite long.  Basicly. Hissing is that normal and true Audio is better from which source/output?

Thanks

Andy

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have absolutely no idea about the hissing issue (maybe another member can help you on that one), however if you've got no audio coming through, does the sound bar need to be on?

In regards to audio quality between HDMI/OPTICAL - both are the same (as in digital).  I would use HDMI connected to the ARC on the TV, because it gives the added features (just typed feathers then :slight_smile: )  such as bravia sync.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
andyodell
Explorer

Thanks for your quick reply.

The example of hissing when nothing was on was to replicate low volumes.  Maybe it is my hearing or age that can hear the higher pitch, not sure.

Thanks for the HDMI info.  I am getting confused with other online saying that if you plug HDMI into a TV and then output it you loose the Dolby Digital or whatever the source is trying to output rather than plugging directly into a reciever or speaker system.  If nothing is lost from the output to the TV and then back out to the Sound Bar using HDMI then this is great.  I was using optical as I believed nothing was lost this way.

dragonlad
Explorer

hi

i too can hear a high pitched  hissing from the right hand speaker of the bar when the volume is right down, just one volume point up from muted.

i also have the issue of the speaker 'popping' noise each time i change channel or even the split second of silence between the tv adverts. as if the speakers shut down as theres nothing to project for that split second of silence, then 'pop' as they re-energise / come back to life for the next advert sound.

any ideas??

would be a great help as it is really annoying😖