Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

If Sony support have said its not possible then why would you want to try downgrading ? You might end up bricking your 1080.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarrier76

Sony aren’t known for their prowess in software coding, and their support teams seem to read from scripts rather than have any useful technical knowledge. So partly it’s about validating their poor policy of not permitting downgrades, and also hopes to solve issues they aren’t able to fix.  I guess ultimately it depends on whether you’re prepared to live with daily interruptions in your use of the amp or want to try to do something about it.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@Tarrier76 wrote:

Sony aren’t known for their prowess in software coding, and their support teams seem to read from scripts rather than have any useful technical knowledge. So partly it’s about validating their poor policy of not permitting downgrades, and also hopes to solve issues they aren’t able to fix.  I guess ultimately it depends on whether you’re prepared to live with daily interruptions in your use of the amp or want to try to do something about it.

By downgrading you *might* be able to sort these specific issues, but even if it doesn't break the amp, you will lose out on functionality or fixes in newer firmware releases and won't ever be able to update the amp in the future. I couldn't live with the interruptions either, so I decided to work around the issue instead as previously posted. Good luck though - it will be interesting to see if it works!

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Gotcha but its an expensive item to be experimenting with. It would be better to try and get a repsonse from their second line support or someone who has attempted it already......

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

That's why I'm a bit reluctant to get stuck in to the downgrade. I would much rather go back to the solid performance that it had previously rather than eARC, if that is what is causing the problem. The other option is to take it back to the retailer and swap it for a Denon. It is only 9 months old and still within warranty, so I definitely wouldn't want to knacker it.

Update: I just got a response from a poster on AVForums. Who is going to try it? :slight_smile:

http:  //hav.update.sony.net/STR/data/UPDATE_M41R0377.zip

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

Has anyone tried reapplying the current firmware to the amp to see if this problem is due to a corruption of some sort? Surely if all 1080s sold are exhibiting this behaviour then Sony must be working on a fix?

I haven't had the nerve to try applying the previous version of firmware.

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@LtPidgeon wrote:

Surely if all 1080s sold are exhibiting this behaviour then Sony must be working on a fix?

That would require Sony to acknowledge there’s a problem in the first place! As far as I can tell from the posts on here, they seem to be blaming the TV’s for the problem

profile.country.GB.title
mrkielbasa

Exactly, they wont admit the issue is on their side. I mentioned previously that I had temporarily been using a Panasonic 4K TV for 3-4 weeks and the issue dissapeared (same setup apart from TV) and when I went back to my Samsung 4K the problem returned. So maybe it is some compatability issue between certain TV models rather than the 1080 specifically. 

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

It seems that you can't reapply the same firmware as it sees it as being up to date.

profile.country.GB.title
LtPidgeon

@mrkielbasa wrote:

Exactly, they wont admit the issue is on their side. I mentioned previously that I had temporarily been using a Panasonic 4K TV for 3-4 weeks and the issue dissapeared (same setup apart from TV) and when I went back to my Samsung 4K the problem returned. So maybe it is some compatability issue between certain TV models rather than the 1080 specifically. 

I am positive that my problem started after an update to my LG set. There had also been two or three revisions to the update within a week.