Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

profile.country.GB.title
JackBerryman

Sony 1080 receiver switching input always shows home screen

Hello all, i’ve Just bought and set up my new 1080 and it’s almost perfect except for one thing. For some reason whenever I switch inputs (I.e to Netflix or turn on the PlayStation) the input switches ok but then just after the home screen pops up. This is really annoying as it means I then need to press the home button on the amp remote and I can’t just use 1 remote to control everything. Searching the net shows other people have solved this by disabling HDMI CEC but I really don’t want to do this as it would still mean having to switch the inputs manually. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this? many thanks in advance. 

188 REPLIES 188
profile.country.GR.title

Unfortunately hdmi control causes this. When the input is changed on the tv, the receiver applies the related input and pops up the annoying home screen every time! Disabling the hdmi control causes of course the arc to stop operating. Great! !

profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

Yep, you need to use Optical from your tv to the amp if you are using apps on the tv, like Netflix.  It works perfectly well though.  I turned off HDMI control ages ago and just press the appropriate button on the amp remote to select the input.  I've never actually had the random Home screen issue myself.

profile.country.GR.title

Hi,

Is optical enough to carry Atmos over DD+ for Netflix ???

profile.country.GB.title
GreenAndroid2000

If your tv apps support it, no, you would need HDMI, optical can only carry 5.1 (but I think DD+ is supported?)  I know my own tv apps don't support Atmos sadly, so optical is ok for me.  I didn't think many tv's supported Atmos through their apps to be honest, there's quite a limited number of devices that do.

profile.country.GR.title

LG Oled of 2018 support Atmos over DD+ through ARC and the receiver does output Atmos sound. If anyone has test it through optical, i would appreciate the feedback.

profile.country.GB.title
Taikaviitta
Explorer

I have not tried Atmos over optical, but several sources online suggest it is not possible as I've reasearched this issue (cannot remember the exact sources but you can google e.g. "atmos over optical").

I'm still in the window to return the amp and very tempted to do so with the current user experience. What is still holding me back is the question whether I can get a similar set of features with around the same money (399€) with some other manufacturer - any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@68058468 wrote:

LG Oled of 2018 support Atmos over DD+ through ARC and the receiver does output Atmos sound. If anyone has test it through optical, i would appreciate the feedback.

I have a 2017 LG OLED and only get 5.1 from Netflix over optical. To get around this I use an Apple TV device, which gives me Atmos and Dolby Vision from Netflix over HDMI. I then also no longer need ARC, which means no Home screen issue either 

profile.country.GB.title
markjgoddard
Explorer

I sent it back and got a Denon AVR 2500. Similar price bracket and although
it too had some issues with HDMI ARC, if you turn off the automatic
shutdown feature it works perfectly.

For me, in the end, there weren't enough workarounds to get the Sony
functioning sufficiently. I don't expect to have to turn it off at the plug
to stop it turning back on, I want the TV audio to come through ARC and I
want to use the optical in for my Sonos:Connect, not the TV.

Simple things which the Denon does but the Sony does not...
profile.country.GR.title

So let's make a suggestion to sony... 

Send a ubp-x700 player to us in order to stop using arc and play our video 4k files as well as watch Netflix from the player. Thus we are going to connect the receiver to the tv with optical cable and stop requesting for a return 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
BombPAC

@markjgoddard wrote:
I sent it back and got a Denon AVR 2500. Similar price bracket and although
it too had some issues with HDMI ARC, if you turn off the automatic
shutdown feature it works perfectly.

I would do the same if I could. The Denon was too expensive at the time I bought the Sony (although not any more) and it was too late for me to send it back once the home screen issue started happening.

Having said that, I have got around the issues and have a perfectly working set up. I prefer Apple TV to the on-board TV apps anyway and I also have a Sonos:Connect, where you still have the choice of using digital coaxial or RCA connectors with the on-board DAC.

But, when I eventually upgrade in the future, I will probably go for a different make. Although I have got around the issues, it's taken far too much time and expense to get there!!