Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Harrywillis 

If you could give it a try again (power off, and try again) - also if that still doesnt work, can you try turning OFF HDMI Control on the DN1040?

Cheers

Harrywillis

Tried exactly that. Mine is the DN840 but same problem as with 1040.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the heads up! :wink:

Solution for me? YES!!

Solution for others, maybe but it's not looking too hopeful right now. Maybe this will need to simmer some more before I can start baking cakes.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Harrywillis wrote:

Tried exactly that. Mine is the DN840 but same problem as with 1040.

Hi ya Harry,

Thanks for your response, sorry it's not working for you also!

Have you tried disconnecting ALL devices from the mains first?

Also disconnecting and then re-connecting your HDMI leads on the back of the receiver?

Also as Quinnicus mentions, try turning OFF HDMI Control then ON again.

Likewise turn OFF Pass Through then set to AUTO again

I did ALL of the above before noticing it was now working

Also please observe my system settings above, I seem to recall you also have a Panasonic Viera TV (I could be wrong)?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Harrywillis wrote:
UPDATE - tried amp in shop and HDMI Passthrough worked there. Newer TV than mine (Panasonic). Sony Blue Ray input. Different HDMI cables? Back home, no HDMI Passthrough. Seems like I need a new TV to get Passthrough to work, and HDMI control to work??.

Hi Harry,

Sorry I should have checked more thoroughly before my previous comment.

So to confirm your TV is a Sony? What Model & How old?(Quinnicus is interested in those details)

If it helps my 'Panasonic Viera TX-26LXD70' TV was purchased October 2007 so it's not exactly a new model.

Are all of your HDMI cables of the same make or mix & match?

I have heard others say elsewhere on the web that changing their HDMI cables had an impact on getting things to work. I recently changed all mine for the following available from Amazon £5.99 although at the time they made no difference to this issue.

Cablesson Prime High Speed 2M (2 Meter) HDMI TO HDMI CABLE with Ethernet - (Latest 2.0/1.4a Version, 21Gbps) Supports 1.4 1.3 1.3b 1.3c 1080P 2160p 4k2k FULL HD for LCD PLASMA & LED Sony PS4 XBOX ONE PC SKY HD Virgin Box Nintendo Wii U UHD AND ALSO SUPPORTS 3D TVS

Another thing that I forgot to mention previously is that I did have a WD Live TV Streaming Media Player connected to my receiver prior to getting this to work. However since purchasing my Sony Blu-ray player with streaming services that device is now redundant and no longer connected.

May be to assist you further you could try just connecting your TV to the amp and see if that works without any other devices present?

Harrywillis

I will try again.

Sony Bravia TV, but older model. I suspect that is the problem in my case

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

STOP!!

Don't tinker with the above advice any further, I got it wrong!!!!!

Sorry to anyone who has spent the weekend on bended knee trying my suggestions above. It is with a heavy heart that I am now making this admission and I am deeply sorry for wasting your time @Harrywillis 

I have indeed found the solution, I can repeat this over and over until the cows come home although I wonder if the fix I have discovered is more appropriate for Panasonic Viera users only?!!

After having an earlier moment of clarity it suddenly dawned on me what was the true cause of Pass Through failure on my Panasonic TV. This will undoubtably help owners of these TV's and it is quite possible other makes also if you can find a similar option in your TV Settings.

The solution it would seem is much simplar than the above long winded twoddle, well I did say it had become quite confusing!!

On the Panasonic Viera TV's do the following...

Open this menu using your TV remote:

DSCF0808.JPG

In the Setup Menu make sure Power On Preference is NOT set to AV - This is WRONG!

If set to AV, when you power on your TV it will change inputs to the AV/HDMI channel and images and sound will be lost!

DSCF0810.JPG

Change the Power on Preference to TV as in below image - Next time you power on your TV Pass Through will work!!

DSCF0809.JPG

As I say, this is repeatable and each times produces the exact same result. It seems in my experimenting I must have changed this setting without even realising.

Hopefully this will help shine a new light on this annoying problem.

Slinky

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MK_Slinky - That is some good work you have done.

It has always been my belief that this is a TV issue from different manufacturers and how the HDMI-CEC has been implemented.  The HDMI-CEC standard is only a rough standard and is implemented slightly different across different manufacturers.  Thats why I am interested in collecting those brands/models etc. 

The issue becomes - why does it work for one person and not another...  The missing link is elusive on this one, however your latest solution certainly has my ears prinked up - as this may be the missing link for the Pana's.  But I am still requesting confirmation from others (if it is indeed that missing link)....

Once again, well done :thumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus,

I think some of my above images have gone AWOL! Perhaps awaiting approval maybe?

Yes this is a tricky animal to tame, like you say each setup differs from one manufacturer to the next. I always wanted to believe it was something different but given the number of people affected by this issue it seemed the receiver was the one thing we all had in common, hence it became an obvious choice to blame, sorry Sony!!

Either way I'm really relieved in my instance it is a missed TV setting.

For interest, looking at those images above (when you can see them), if I do set the power on preference to AV and when next powering on the TV, images and sound are lost and the channel changes to the AV/HDMI Input and switches on whatever device I last used. I tried this earlier today and it powered on my new Blu-ray player displaying the home menu on the TV screen ready for use. This appears to be correct operation also. :slight_smile:

However, to reiterate, for Pass Through to work thus enabling the user to watch TV without the receiver powered on the above setting must be set to 'Power On Preference - TV' as per the last image.

Hopefully I haven't confused you by sharing that little snippet?

Harrywillis

My DN840 is connected to a Sony Bravia KDL-26S2010 and was manufactured in Spain in 2006. As such, it is a a relatively small and old TV. 

I am pleased that Panasonic owners might have a solution to the HDMI Pass Through problem, but, on my Sony TV there does not seem to be an equivalent option to that shown in the scenes shots.