Join now - be part of our community!

DTS 5.1 sound

McKempot
Explorer

DTS 5.1 sound

Hi!

I have Sony KDL - 55W828B. I have a 5.1 audio system connected to it through HDMI. I've noticed that when I watch films on it (with external HDD), the sound becomes stereo, if the source is DTS audio (the audio is passed with ARC), but when the source is DD, there's no problem of outputting 5.1 audio.

And another question. When I use ARC, does all the sound go to the TV and then back to audio system, or only the sound that comes directly from the TV? Because I have PS4 connected to audio system and I don't want to have any audio loss (even though the system isn't that expensive). Should I leave it on or it is better to turn it off? It's really comfortable not to have an extra remote, but I'm a bit worried about the sound quality.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

In regards to DTS 5.1 via external HDD, this all depends on what container/codec you are using for your video files.  For a list of supported codecs, see : HERE

ARC - If you have a device directly connection to your audio system, the sound will not transmit to your tv speakers.  Only the sound from the TV will go via the ARC.  ARC basically is sending video 'upto' the tv (when needed) and sending audio 'down from' the tv (when needed) - hence audio return channel.

Hope that explains things.

Cheers.