Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32W705B Remote failure

SOLVED
CrossieDR
New

KDL-32W705B Remote failure

I have recently purchased a KDL-32W705B. Just after one month from purchase the remote control failed with a stuck button rendering the remote useless.

I took the remote back to the retailer where I purchased the set and they returned it under warranty to Sony.

The replacement remote control arrived at the weekend. I put some batteries in it and it all worked fine, until one day later when the remote stopped working at all.

Did the IR check with my mobile phone and no IR when any buttons pressed.

Is there a known problem with these remotes? Is there a bad batch?

I guess I'm going to have to send the replacement back and hope that the second replacement is ok but I'm not feeling very confident.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CrossieDR
New

Thought I should just check the batteries before taking it in to retailer tomorrow.

Difficult to get DMM probes onto the contacts due to the shape of the plastic moulding but finally managed to make contact and did not measure 3V as expected.

Took the two batteries out and checked them individually. One was a healthy 1.5V and the other virtually dead.

They were brand new batteries fresh out of a packet when placed in the remoite.

No wonder it didn't work!

New-new batteries and all seems ok now.

Good result.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

I have a similar model, and had before that another Sony model. No problems with the remotes.

Did you try reseating the batteries or different batteries? It's really unexpected to have a remote die.

CrossieDR
New

I have taken the batteries out and replaced them and put new ones in all to no avail.

Sadly my experience thus far with Sony remotes is that I absolutely expect them to fail 😉 (though 1 day really is a record)

I intend to try with a different type of battery just in case there is a problem with the +ve pip of the ones in it not being quite long enough to make good contact with the terminals.

hcr_hassen

By the sound of it you're going to have to replace it again. 3rd time's a charm?

CrossieDR
New

Thought I should just check the batteries before taking it in to retailer tomorrow.

Difficult to get DMM probes onto the contacts due to the shape of the plastic moulding but finally managed to make contact and did not measure 3V as expected.

Took the two batteries out and checked them individually. One was a healthy 1.5V and the other virtually dead.

They were brand new batteries fresh out of a packet when placed in the remoite.

No wonder it didn't work!

New-new batteries and all seems ok now.

Good result.

hcr_hassen

Just one dead, and so quickly, is strange.

BTW, if you measure batteries outside of a circuit you should add a load to get a more meaningful voltage reading. Maybe something like a 100 ohm resistor.