Join now - be part of our community!

W705B: all image processing disabled, yet there are artifacts

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W705B: all image processing disabled, yet there are artifacts

I'm getting artifacts on a W705B, I assume due to image processing. The firmware is the latest: 2.263. I did a Factory Reset, then set it to "Game-Original" mode, with all image processing options off/0/centered.

Anyone else seeing this on the same model or other 2014/2013 models?

If your computer is connected to the TV, view the image linked below at normal/100% zoom and see if the background looks uniform.

Click for 1920x1080 test image. View at 100% size when checking.

It should look like the thumbnails above. Instead it looks like:
How it ends up looking with this problem

Some of the problems are gone, or almost so, in other Scene Modes (like "Cinema", maybe after disabling "Reality Creation"), but I specifically want "Game" for low latency and for what I thought should be no image processing at all.

The problems I've noticed so far manifest on 1-pixel checkboard patterns (here are the images for white and magenta , view at 100% zoom). There are changes in brightness, or tint, based on what else goes on in the same line as the affected pixels. I also encountered what looks like some vertical color gradient on what should be a uniform color, but I don't know if it's the same root problem.

The green and purple colored areas here are supposed to be black-white 1-pixel checkboarding ("G Gain" just accentuates it):

All flat color areas above were supposed to be the same white/grey.

Video showing the funky color changes when moving a window around:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c8yh7

The TV menu turns the white grid in the background completely green, and also shows horizontal "shadows":

Green supposed to be grey. Also see "shadows" to the right of lines and the selection bar.

A magenta checkerboard (that the TV turned brownish) changes color depending on what's else horizontally:

Background color is supposed to be a uniform magenta.

Video of the above in motion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ca6aa

Red checkboard grid. Turns brighter on both sides of the window.

Vertical color gradient on a magenta checkerboard. It's not due to the viewing angle. It looks mostly brown/grey both because the TV processing turns it brownish, and some because of the camera. I'm not sure the gradient is related to the same processing problem as above. 

Gradually more magenta at the bottom.

New TV shows strange artifacts when displaying white checkerboard patterns with 1 pixel spacing. First, there is a green tint to the white grid. Second, if a window or something similar is overlaid on top, there are "shadows" of sorts, going horizontally on both sides of the window. I tried ...
Another example of the problem on the W705. A Notepad window is moved and resized over a magenta checkerboard pattern. The magenta looks more like brown. But if a white rectangle is on a certain line of pixels, the larger the white area is the closer the magenta pixels become to what they should ...
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi

When viewed not at 100% full screen it dosen't show up only when you mentioned to view it at that is when i saw it. I'll have a look at my file tonight but with my game set up i can't see any bleed problems like that at all ( PC or console) 

TC

hcr_hassen

Yeah, it's gotta be 100% zoom. You don't see it in most games because they don't usually use such grid patterns, especially new games.

profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi

I've look at the image created in photoshop and can't see this probelm with the window bleed so looks like it's a problem with the back ground file making the TV do something odd. I've tried the tv with PS4+PC for gaming and there's little input lag.

Have a look at downloading the TV test screen and see if the bleed has a problem still or try a THX blu ray test on most disk.Screen shot 2014-12-22 at 12.22.20.png

TC

hcr_hassen

If you view the test pattern I posted initially and move it around over the image you just posted, you will see the bleed.

I've found that the problem is not unique to Sony, it happens also on other monitors using AUO panels. Other panel manufacturers aren't immune, but it seems it's more common in AUO. Or maybe AUO is just more common in general. :slight_smile:

What I'd like to know is why depending on picture settings it can be less severe, and whether a firmware update could mitigate it. So far I've been unable to breach the initial "clueless customer support people" barrier.