Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000-XM3 Playing Notification Sounds While the Phone is on Silent or Do Not Disturb

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Xudong
Explorer

WH-1000-XM3 Playing Notification Sounds While the Phone is on Silent or Do Not Disturb

Since a few days ago, my WH-1000-XM3 have been playing notification sound while i listen to music if they come through, even though I usually have my phone on silent. This issue continues even after the headphones are disconnected, and the notification sounds will continue to play on the phone despite silent mode or do not disturb. It seems like the headphone makes the phone treat notification sounds under media sounds rather than ringtone sounds as the volume of these notification sounds are dependent on the media volume, hence why putting the phone on silent does not work (But muting media sounds does).

This is not an issue with my phone as I had tested it out with 2 phones, and this issue only pops up after these headphones are connected for the first time following a reboot. This issue then persists afterwards until the phone is reboot again.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Xudong
Explorer

@Vanilla_ wrote:

Hey there,

The Sony XM3 actually has the option to control Notification and Voice Guidance through the Headphones connect app. I suggest that you try these settings and check if it makes any difference: https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/hpc/v1/en/contents/TP0002088741.html?search=notification

Cheers,

Vanilla_

Hiya, Thanks for trying to help.

I have tried fiddling with these settings in the connect app when the issue first came up and they haven't made a difference.

However, I noticed yesterday that the issue miraculously fixed itself (After me neglecting to use it for the past few days due to this problem) and I tested again and the issue did not return.

This is surprising as the last attempt to fix these headphones did not work so I left it alone for the past couple of days, but I'm glad it fixed itself and I hope the issue does not return.

Lesson learnt however is that don't update your headphone firmware if you're happy with the performance of your headphones! There have been numerous threads about this causing issues. 

Sony support has also been rather lacking on this issue. While I understand that it's hard for them to diagonise the issue without physically having the headphone the response time has beenlong and most of the offered solutions are basic operations that most people would have tried already. This is a shame as these headphones are no doubt the best in their class. I'd recommend buying noise cancelling headphones from another brand for potential new buyers if you're looking for consistency and better customer support rather than absolute performance.

profile.country.GB.title
ABCDxm3
Explorer

This did not solve the probelm unfortunately. Toggling notification and voice guide may no difference and the sound from texts still played. The only thing that changed was the voice teling me battery and noise cancelling vs ambient.

profile.country.GB.title
jcameron22

Please can someone post a valid link to a website that gives a solution to this problem.  My new headphones keeps cutting out to make this bell sound.