Join now - be part of our community!

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Hi all

Please feel free to put in any requests for future updates and features you would like to see added. Of course we can't promise that we can deliver on all of them as there may be technical/commercial/resource limitations, as to why they aren't possible, but everything will be considered.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enable sticky tag

281 REPLIES 281
profile.country.SE.title
Midaz45645735684684567465

-Rev Play Fwd Pause Stop buttons-

Having an 65W855A set

Please arrange it so that these buttons are active and in use depending on source.

When internal USB/DLNA mediaplayer is used these buttons will control it like normal

In my case the Play Pause and Fwd does not work, Rev and Stop buttons work however.

So when switching to Youtube these buttons would be active and work like on an ordinary bluray.

profile.country.SE.title

Dear Sony support team.

Please make it so that when a new firmware is available a textbox is provided that tells us what kind of new features and fixes are added but most importantly add the ability to allow the user to roll back a release or two if something should not work as expected:smileykiss:

zbuzanic
Explorer

I have few suggestions as I use my TV kdl42w807 only for PC:

- option to disable/lock remote control keys so input will not be switched to TV if some number is pressed

- when TV is going to standby info message is shown for a too long time, this should be adjustable (disable/5 sec/10/15 sec before etc.) as it bothers me too much

- option to override/bind screen modes to remote controy keys, game to blue, yellow to cinema, green to graphic

other than than, great tv, love it for gaming

TimCurtis

I recently bought the KDL-42W829 & the picture quality is really good.

However there are a number of issues that need addressing.

1. Startup time is appalling , upto 30sec before you have full control.

2. The remote is far too complicated. It doesn't need a separate Netflix button for example. But a single button to access the settings menu would be far more useful.

3. The interface is far too complex, eg getting to settings , media server or to playback USB recordings is very longwinded.

Look at the new Panasonic TVs as a good example of how to design a remote & straightforward interface.

profile.country.GB.title
draxcp6
Explorer

I am owner of W808 and I really miss external subtitles over DLNA.

Currently I am using my laptop as media server because I must transcode videos (which is very CPU intensive and makes a lot of network traffic, plus it degrades video quality). I don't want to power on laptop each time I want to watch something, but on the other hand NAS devices are not powerful to run such tasks (transcoding).

Other brands like Samsung or LG support this feature (despite that is not defined by DLNA standard).

Since Sony TV's support already subtitles via USB, it means that rendering is done so only streaming over DLNA should be implemented.

I believe that implementation of this feature should not be expencive and/or complicated but it could make a lot of people happy. Correct me if I am wrong, but it also doesn't require any hardware changes, just an firmware upgrade.

profile.country.GB.title
draxcp6
Explorer

Another feature that would be nice is to unlock support for 1080p@120Hz over HDMI.

Panel is 120Hz, and it is pretty shame that we cannot use its full potential.

I know that is not defined by HDMI 1.4 standard, but there are some TV's that run at that configuration without issue (Vizio for example).

TimCurtis

There is a utility that simply merges subtitles into the video file. It'll input mkv & mp4 video files & output mkv.

It's called MKV Merge which is part of the MKVtoolnix package. It's very quick as it doesn't re-encode anything.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

Some features I find missing on the 2013 W65x, and some ideas:

* Remember Zoom setting per channel. The channels here are 576i, but some are 16:9 and some are 4:3. Right now there's a need to constantly twiddle with Zoom format selection.

* Ability to configure which Zoom formats are shown in the Zoom menu. If only two are left (I only use "Full" 16:9 and "Normal" 4:3), switch between them immediately when pressing the Zoom button on the remote, without showing the popup menu. 

* Detailed/clear info on the current refresh rate and the current input signal. Including distinction between 24 and 23.976Hz. 

* In the settings screens, make options changeable without having to press "Select" first. If I highlight an option and press right/left, or +/-, why won't it change? The "Select" option can be left, in addition as is: a way to focus on a specific option and hide the rest so that the popup hides less of the display in the background while adjusting.

* Control brightness/backlight, and maybe related settings, directly with remote buttons.

* Concentrate all display-related options in a single menu. Right now it's spread in multiple locations.

* Ability to store multiple sets of custom settings, and switch between them quickly with the remote.

* Add contextual help to ALL options. Right now most have nothing. Also make the full screen help button act in ALL places.

* Make the help text *useful*. Stating the obvious is stupid. It needs to explain in detail what an option does, and include illustrations. You can start with a simplified explanation, but do include a technical one as well.

An example of bad (made up, but close to the style of the actual help):

"To change the brightness, enter the brightness menu, press select, use the up and down buttons to change the brightness. Press select again to confirm."

An example for good:

"The Brightness setting controls the brightness level of the dark colors. (Photo shows an example) The bright colors remain unchanged, and are controlled by the [Contrast] (hyperlink) setting. Effectively, this reduces the range between the darkest and lightest colors."

profile.country.SE.title

Instead of having 2 stereo speakers on the TV and maybe a small center bass/midrange as standard.

Have a lower left and right speaker as usual but also a top left and right speaker.

When we turn the TV 90 degree to the left for examply to play maybe pinball or playing vertical games

or read a standard document, the TV will automatically detect this so the lower left speaker becomes

the lower right speaker and the lower right becomes the upper right etc..

As an added benefit, 4 smaller speakers probably gives a better sound than 2 larger ones + it can

give a better surround sound due to the orientation.

-Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sony

Here is another request.  Why not create a "Calibration" disc (with explainations) and bundle it with the TV - might just help people :slight_smile:

Also a more comprehenive manual wouldnt go astray either (for more advanced features and options) with full explainations

Cheers