Join now - be part of our community!

Media volume is the default audio channel when adjusting the volume

SOLVED
Riyadhe
Visitor

Media volume is the default audio channel when adjusting the volume

The volume bar now takes up the whole screen and it adjusts media by default. One cant adjust the ring tone without accessing the settings menu.

Been grating my teeth with android updates. If this does not get better then its bye bye

42 REPLIES 42
profile.country.AT.title
skycamefalling
Contributor

And you are basing this opinion on the comments of a handful of people that are disappointed that something has changed?

Several millions of people are happy that Google fixed the behaviour of the volume button because noone needs to change volume of the ringtone -the new silent/vibrate/loud toggle is quicker and more comfortable to use.

On the other hand, media volume needs adjusting all the time, therefore it makes perfect sense the way it is now.

And as mentioned several times: It's a change in Android Pie, not from Sony.

If you don't like it, complain to Google but don't troll around in a user forum and act like the whole world has to revolve around you.

Dissappointed
Visitor

Only idiots that know nothing apart from listening to music all day would regard tjis as a positive change. 

People that want to use the phone AS A PHONE, and move around different work environments, would want the ringtone more easily adjustable.

Its called a phone, and not an mp3 player, and I would like it to act like a phone. 

And by the way, each company adapts android to suit their own range of devices. So, Sony DO have a direct say in how (or even if) things are implemented.

PS... Me passing my feelings on to tje Sony care team is NOT trolling. Tjat is what YOU have done by urinating on everyone else's parade. Troll. 

Dissappointed
Visitor

PPS

... Why DO you feel the need to rain on everyone's parade, rather than accepting that a setting that gives people the choice of which volume the button controls (which was my overall post suggestion) is a reasonable suggestion. 

Mummy didn't love you enough? 

RuneJ
Contributor

If you just want a phone (and not an "mp3 player"- even tho there are quite a few years since MP3 was the popular format....) , perhaps a more dedicated phone like this will suit your needs better?

https://www.dorousa.us/doro-7050.htmlSmiling_Face_with_Sunglasses

Joke aside:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, and the request of having the volume-controls back to how it was before has been noted by Jonas/SONY staff as a suggestion.

You will have to wait for next version of Android to see if your wish comes thru.

Jonas
Master

Hi @Dissappointed, I understand the frustration and as I have mentioned in my previous posts, I'll gladly forward your feedback as well. Keep in mind that I can't promise that this will be changed though.

For the general discussion, everyone is entitled to the own opinion and I understand that some are pleased with the change and some are not. This of course depends on how you use your device and since almost everyone is using the device differently, some will be happy with this change and some won't.

Everyone is welcome to keep the discussion going, but try and be friendly to each other and and accept that everyone is not using their devices the same way! Slightly_smiling_Face

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Riyadhe and everyone else

There's a workaround for the people who want to control ringer and notification volume when pressing the volume buttons. Simply install Button Mapper v0.73 APK, grant it accessibility permission, then map your volume up button to "Volume up" and volume down button to "Volume down". This will make the volume buttons control ringtone and notification volume by default and you'll see 2 sliders on-screen: one for ringtones and the other for media.

Note: DO NOT install later versions of this app, you'll find this feature requires a paid subscription (unless you want to support the developer, of course).

Tomasxz1
Visitor

For end user, there should be a possibility to setup the default behavior of the physical volume key.

It is terrible decision put the media first .. it is a phone in the first place, the media gadget is a secondary functionality! 

For example when in the car, I want to quicky increase the volume I need to spend like 30 seconds to do that and lookaway from the road. the old way was just 1 sec and eyes on the road..

Or in the offise I want to decrease the volume, not to shut it completely, not to vibrate, just quiet ring, I need to open setting and the thing start ringing the second I touch the slide bar ..  really perfect ..NOT

Please Please in next sw patch put at least an option in settings to be able to manage the volume key default behavior.

Zoranjov
Visitor

I can only say that this is horrible experience no matter is it Android feature or Sony's. Ringer volume is one of the most frequent features I am using and requiring me to getting into settings and also producing sample ringer tone every time I change it is just a nightmare.

My next phone either is not going to be Sony or it is not going to be Android based phone if this is forced on all android based phones...

Jonas
Master

Hello everyone!

@Tomasxz1, I understand that this can be very inconvenient, however this is how it works in Android Pie. You can take a look at the post that @Quester made and see if that helps.

@Zoranjov, I'm afraid that I don't know if this is forced by Google or not, since I'm not sure how it looks in other devices running Android Pie. You can take a look at the post that @Quester made and see if you like that better.

I'll make sure to forward the feedback regarding this internally!

L457L0
Visitor

I fully agree. When not listening to music or watching media, why are the volume buttons assigned to media and not to ringtone volume? Completely nonsense.