Join now - be part of our community!

Bought a Sony bravia 40w 4500 in November 2008 !!

profile.country.en_GB.title
decole56
Visitor

Bought a Sony bravia 40w 4500 in November 2008 !!

We bought this TV in November 2008 as it had recieved so many good right ups !, OH had done so much research and this had come out top so we thought treat our selves for Christmas !!, we bought from a Sony shop !.....anyway about July/August 2009 the left hand side of the screen started to "slip" about six inches and became unwatchable ! until it had warmed up !, we called the shop who sent a repair man who took out TV away and left us with a nasty little loan set for about three weeks !!!, at this point we called the repair shop who told us they had not found "any fault !!, so OH said bring it back......for a day or so the problem did not happen then lo and behold back it came !, we put up with for a few more weeks before phoning the shop again and asking for a repair man and refusing the same company who had came before !.....this time OH and I took lots of pictures of the screen problems (just in case !).....I need not have worried as when the repair man arrived he saw the problem right away !, "it needs a new screen panel" he said , they come from Spain so it will take time !, the first panel arrived cracked !!! typical !, but the next arrived no problem !, TV repaired at home....the screen lasted less than one year !,,, you guessed it went again !!! I have just had my new screen fitted again !....I contacted Sony direct this time and found pages of problems with this TV !!!, eventually got a call back saying they were surprised  I got a new screen as they were replacing the  TV's !, luckily I have a 5 year warranty ( due up soon) I have little faith this new screen will last (would you ????), Sony tell me it is "not their problem" and I should contact my warranty company who are "Sonex" who I acually thought were Sony seeing as I bought the set there !!!.....I feel Sony have let me down badly as a customer and are passing the buck !, they know they have a problem with this TV .......Has anyone out there any advice or experience to pass on ?, yes at the moment I have a TV that works but for how long ???

4 REPLIES 4
Bravia55HX

Hi,

yes you have been unlucky with this set and i agree the reviews on this at the time were excellent but no one predicted the unfortunate turn of events with this panel, i understand Sony have acknowledged there is a fault and that there is a procedure posted on here somewhere that will guide you to getting a satisfactory repair,

furthermore i have noticed you claim your 5 year warranty on this is "nearly up", when in fact you have another couple of years yet left to run!,

with any luck a Sony member of staff will pick up on this soon and assist you further.

decole56
Visitor

Hi, thanks for replying, no I did nt mean my warranty is nearly up (sorry if it came out like that) just meant that at the rate I am going through screens it will not seem like long !!...I have no problem with the "repairs" it is just that the screens do not last !! to be on my third screen since 2008 is not really "good" is it ??, I keep waiting now for the first signs that the TV is about to go again (I know it should last a while longer yet), but my faith is really totally destroyed, the TV this time got so bad at times that it had to be switched off as I feared (OH did not agree) that it was about to blow up !..

Sony have wiped their hands of this TV and just told me to contact Sonex !, I do not agree with this I think they should acknowledge there is a problem ( I am sure they know this) , Sony are such a huge name and brand but are doing themselves no favours by passing the blame here !, own up you cowards !!!!

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

have a read through this thread (if it works), its from these forums and it may help you.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/113234?start=1&tstart=0

decole56
Visitor

Contacted Sonex who were so helpful !, their hands are tied !, so I just have to wait and see what happens to this panel !, but as previously said everyone has little faith given the history of my TV that this panel will last any longer than the last two !....we will just wait and see but full marks to Sonex who at least listened to my problems !and sympathisied with me which was nice !