Join now - be part of our community!

SoKDL-40W5500 does see video files via DLNA

profile.country.fi_FI.title
oslaine35
New

SoKDL-40W5500 does see video files via DLNA

Hello

I have KDL-40W5500 and I have DLNA media server. But 40W5500 does not see any video files which I have in my media server. I have checked what 40W5500 supports and tried those without success. I have PS3 which see files on media server i.e. media server sends information what it hs.

Is 40W5500 checking content based on file extension and /or checking what's actually in file?

Cheers

Ossi

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

What server & transcoder are you using?

oslaine35
New

Server is Buffalo Linkstation duo and transcoder SUPER. My PS3 see files i.e. server supports them.

Catmambo
Contributor

The range of formats natively supported on the 2009 models is so limited and there is no point in re-converting files into legacy formats, you'd be better off getting a media streamer or something. The Sony SMP-N100 is very good and offers the added benefit of iPlayer and a bunch of other catch-up services.

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
aerobicsgirl
New

OP, I hope you don't mind me asking a related question.

I have the 37" of this model, and have connected it to my router with an ethernet cable.  I am able to access files from two laptops, but would the Sony SMP-N100 be what I need to get if I wanted to access iPlayer etc?  Presumably, if I got this I wouldn't need the UWA-BR 100 dongle?  Does the dongle offer the same as the ethernet cable?

I am confused as to what the KDL-37W5500 can access, is it an internet TV?

Thank You

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi  - yes the SMP-N100 is the only product you'd need as it has integrated wifi as well and would then deliver BRAVIA Internet Video services as well as much better DLNA functionality. The W series offers very limited Internet functionality so its easier to simply get one of these netboxes as bang for buck, I genuinely think they are pretty good value. :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCFiVAqRiWo&feature=view_all&list=PL3DC17A2EB20BA103&index=13

Short video here explaining what you can do.

Once you have the netbox, then this video will help you get DLNA up and running and then you should be sorted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwtBQJadBL8&feature=view_all&list=PL3DC17A2EB20BA103&index=25

Hope this helps

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

oslaine35
New

Hi

You mentioned logacy formats i.e. does 40W5500 support some formats i.e. what wrapper and what video codec ( I assume MPEG2 SD)?

profile.country.GB.title
aerobicsgirl
New

Thank you very much Catmambo for going to the trouble of replying, and apologies for hijacking your thread Ossi.

Catmambo
Contributor

Yup it copes fine with MPEG2, but thats about it I think in terms of native support. The manual should be able to give a full run down of supported codecs...

thanks