Join now - be part of our community!

External mic on A65. Audio level is too high.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
Oleg_UA
Visitor

External mic on A65. Audio level is too high.

Has tested JJC MIC-1 with my SLT-A65. Sound quality is not good, because audio  level of recording is too high. It covered all sound area around mic with a many bad  noises, despite mic is designed to cover 90° or 120° of sound area in front of it. You can hear example of normal work of this mic in next video. Test on Canon 600D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vC7lIjp30#t=267s

As far as i know, there is no audio level config in A65 camera menu. But maybe anybody know some other solution, how to fix it? Or, maybe Sony will add audio record level changing in next firmware? It would be great.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Oleg, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It's gain control you need in those circumstances and I agree it could be a great addition to DSLRs. At present it seems to be something you only find on higher-specced camcorders, although you can always use an external audio control unit if gain control is a must.

I'm actually not sur that's your problem here, however. The a65 does an exceptionally good job of recording audio, but you do need to use a good quality compatible mic to get the best out of it. I've heard very good things about the Sony ALST-1 on the a65, for example.

I'd certainly recommend trying out some alternative mics.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.uk_UA.title
Oleg_UA
Visitor

Hi Mick.

Did you mean higher-spec camcorders produced by Sony, or anything other? Are there gain control on others Sony DSLRs exists, or not? In that video Canon 600D, is not higher than A65, but it has this feature.

i've used JJC mic in this weekend to make record in the forest. I Put it on a mini tripod, connected with cord about 3 meters far from camera. And i must say, the result was very good! You can hear example there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71oVyh87L-I

I got some issue, and not sure what it was, bad cord connection or wrong settings. Before that i set mic switch to 120° and heard ony hi-freq noise. When i set it to 90° sound becomes good as you can hear.

Maybe my experience will be useful for somebody