Join now - be part of our community!

zoom lenses

profile.country.GB.title
andymcc01
Explorer

zoom lenses

Hi, I am currently using an alpha 75-300 lens on my a55, mostly for sports pics. Is the G range worth/too big for the a55v.:smileyconfused:

regards

Andy

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Andy :slight_smile:

In terms of sports photography, you are right in thinking that the G range lenses (specifically the SAL-70200G and the SAL-70400G) are worth considering due to the design and in particular, the focal length on offer.

If you are concerned about holding the body and lens together i.e. the whole lot feeling a little 'front heavy' it is worth bearing in mind that you can purchase a tripod for the lens. Some users prefer to go for a lens support which spreads the load of a heavier lens more evenly. Take a look at this example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001HFK1IS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Naturally, I am obliged to point out that other lens supports are available from other manuacturers and retailers :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon

silawre
New

I have used the 70-300G, and own the 70-200 and 70-400 G series lenses.  My partner uses the 70-300G on her a65 which is of similar size to your a55 and it is a comfortable combination.  I've use both the 70-200 and 70-400 and due to their weight it does make for a front heavy combination when used on the a65.  However it is a small price to pay for the quality of the images captured.  I'd recommend a G series lens without giving a second thought.

Si

profile.country.GB.title
andymcc01
Explorer

many thanks Simon. Checked to link you provided which seems to be an answer if I go ahead with the lens purchase.

regards

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
andymcc01
Explorer

thanks for info silawre, your reply has swayed me towards the 70-300. Now just need to have a mad hour and buy it.

regards

Andy

silawre
New

Pleasure.

Si

GoNz0-
Explorer

I own the A55 and the 70-300G lens, My benro tripod does a fine job supporting the camera with the lens hanging off, I do not see the need to a lens support.

And yes i love the 70-300G, i upgraded from the 75-300 £100 thing and have never looked back!