Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

I cant see it

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

I have youview turned on

Mekerz

@darrenj11 wrote:

you presume, and thats why ive been following this thread. Yes the TV doesnt have HDD recording but I dont care, Yes its slow on Android but I hold out for updates, and yes the HD channels used to have voice sync issues but that has resolved since update.

The screen is stunning and the audio is great, so pending the sluggish Android TV, im overall very satisfied, and presume therefore that this does not impact X93 range.

I'm confused because you've contradicted yourself. You say the issues in this thread do not impact the X93 range, but you've also stated you've experienced lack of HDD recording, lipsync issues and sluggish performance on your X93.

The X93 is a Bravia 2015 model running Android 2015, therefore will have the exact same software issues as every other Bravia 2015 model.

I'm glad you're happy with your product, but others here are quite rightly frustrated they've paid for a TV from what they thought was a quality brand, only to receive a product that's full of defects.

Scallygally
Explorer

Argued the toss with Currys and they won't budge instore & online. Explained the issues I'm having with the TV and the lack of Hdd recording (which was promised) and they won't budge. I should have told them about the issues ect within the 28 period instead of 3 months later. Like others, I thought the problems would have been sorted out by Sony a long time ago but they couldn't care less. I should have just gone with a Techwood or Alba tv. At least them brands wouldn't have forever turned off at the drop of a hat, changed channel in an instant ect. I feel like taking this TV down to my local tip. Sent from my Samsung device
adyjay33

Well go back and explain that it wont look good if you go to the claims courts. Its been misold to you.

A letter to your local paper might go down well too... they dont want to look like idiots.

Keep trying,

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
cozzykim

@Scallygally wrote:
Argued the toss with Currys and they won't budge instore & online. Explained the issues I'm having with the TV and the lack of Hdd recording (which was promised) and they won't budge. I should have told them about the issues ect within the 28 period instead of 3 months later. Like others, I thought the problems would have been sorted out by Sony a long time ago but they couldn't care less. I should have just gone with a Techwood or Alba tv. At least them brands wouldn't have forever turned off at the drop of a hat, changed channel in an instant ect. I feel like taking this TV down to my local tip. Sent from my Samsung device

The only thing preventing you from returning your TV is your (understandable) lack of determination.

There's plenty of precedent to use to persuade them to accept it back, the reports on this forum from numerous previous owners for a start.

They know that the TV is not fit for purpose, they also know that a timid person will walk away rather than confront them.

Take the TV back to the store in its box. Make sure that you've deleted all your accounts, done a factory reset, cleaned every last fingerprint, bagged up and checked that all accessories are there.

Get someone to help you carry it in, and say that you aren't leaving with it. If they still refuse to accept it back, take a photo of it in their store, and/or one of them carrying it out (if they dare) and tell them that you are DETERMINED, to take them to court for a refund and damages.

Whilever you're happy to walk back out with the damn thing, they've won.

Don't let this happen, take your partner and kids/grandkids with you as potential witnesses, don't shout or swear, but DO NOT take the TV home with you.

I had a 'discussion' with the technical guy at JL when I returned mine, and I let him know that, whatever he argued, whatever he said, the NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE TV was NOT going home with me in my car, and that was the end of it. He relented and the money was back in my account within a couple of hours.

Don't give up Gal. :wink:

kevfarme

@royabrown wrote:

@kevfarme wrote:

I wonder, assuming Sony get the HDD recording working for you guys.....hmmm.....  Being as All 4 and ITVPlayer should be available through the Opera browser even without the awful You View running maybe you could record them with a HDD that way? 

Can you tell me how to work this browser on the TV? I have both remotes, but it is still an almighty struggle, with a white cursor running leftwards away from my black cursor all the time until it reaches the edge of the screen.

I got to All4 in the end, but it wants Flash upgraded - do I choose YUM, or the .tar.gz, or the rpm, or am I secretly running Ubuntu 10.04+ and require the APT?

And even if I do choose the 'right' one, do I have the requisite tool(s) on here to make this upgrade?

i am an experienced software developer, though not a hacker (in the old sense); if I am confused, the average punter isn't going to have a prayer 😞

Sorry, I wish I could off some help here but I took my set back on 26th December.  I know that I got my Opera working on the set when I did have it.  I will admit that I have beenusing Opera since it first came out back in the late 1990's though.  We'd need to know what repository system the operating system was using.  An rpm file is packaged differently to a deb file.  Though, it is possible to use deb files on a Red Hat system (rpm = Red hat Package Management while deb is shortened from the Debian distro).  The tar.gz is the universal packaged software but you would need to build it.  I used to do it this way 16+ years ago but not for a long time now..  Normally a browser will handle its own add ons through its own system..

noelc63

@royabrown wrote:

@kevfarme wrote:

I wonder, assuming Sony get the HDD recording working for you guys.....hmmm.....  Being as All 4 and ITVPlayer should be available through the Opera browser even without the awful You View running maybe you could record them with a HDD that way? 

Can you tell me how to work this browser on the TV? I have both remotes, but it is still an almighty struggle, with a white cursor running leftwards away from my black cursor all the time until it reaches the edge of the screen.

I got to All4 in the end, but it wants Flash upgraded - do I choose YUM, or the .tar.gz, or the rpm, or am I secretly running Ubuntu 10.04+ and require the APT?

And even if I do choose the 'right' one, do I have the requisite tool(s) on here to make this upgrade?

i am an experienced software developer, though not a hacker (in the old sense); if I am confused, the average punter isn't going to have a prayer 😞

You are not running Linux, you are running Android, which means if you want to upgrade Flash, you'll need an updated APK (Android equivalent of RPM/APT) on a USB stick. However, Adobe have abandoned Flash on Android, so its likely there is no update to the installed version.
noelc63

A new problem I've encountered over the past week. I have my Android Bravia TV connected to a wired network. Every so often, on waking the set up, it asks me to "connect to the internet". No amount of cajoling will persuade it that it already has a wired internet connection. Only powering off completely and restarting will get it to see the wired connection.

elraouk

Could be an IP conflict. You could try assigning a static IP to your TV (in your router settings).