Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

For those who emailed the CEO's office and now received a request for a tel: number. I urge you to take up the offer. I had such a call and it is the best way to let Customer Relations feel about the letdown. You might even get something to your advantage.

As an update to my continuing list of events since 18th Dec...

7) NEW: switched on 07 Jan. Set hung at black screen, then finally rebooted itself and opened at the Home screen

This is just and extract of the detailed log I'm keeping.

Cheers
Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bluraypete wrote:

@julianblack  @royabrown Thanks for your replies, I don't normally post anything on forums so this is an exception for good reason. Does everyone else have the same problem as me when visitiing TV shops. Only have 2 "high st" stores where I live, one had Sky Sports HD (1K) fed over numerous daisy chained HDMI so the picture wasn't that great, and the other had a shop demo over HDMI also 1K on some sets apart from the Sony's which had their own 4K memory stick stuck in USB. I asked for a remote for a Samsung and reluctantly got one and tried the Sony memory stick in it but it wouldn't play (that makes sense) but after playing around with the remote I got the samsung to play the 4K demo that seemed to be stored on the set. I would have thought they would all be showing a 4K picture if they are trying to sell them. And why can't they have a normal terrestrial aerial input so at least you can tell what the upscaling is like etc. After having a play with an LG as well and looking for issues on the web with them both I am going for the Samsung UE55JS8500. Seems to be a good all rounder, may not be perfect but seems more stable than the Sony and at least my wife can use it.  

Hi @bluraypete Well, you seem to be doing OK so far with your forum postings 🙂

I don't know which stores you have - Curry's, I presume - but we have a Waitrose that presents its sets well, and a Richer Sounds, where they present them very well indeed.

i don't know what you have been quoted for the JS8500, but RS have it for £1499. I chose the JS9000, which is £1699, and has a smidgeon better specs, and comes with the full One Connect box, not the mini you get with the 8500. And thereby alleges a level of future-proofing, which remains to be seen.

Crampton & Moore, who have stores in Yorkshire (only) have each set for £50 cheaper. If you live up there, it might be worth popping in to see if they are showing off their sets properly. Elsewhere, though, find your nearest RS to make the comparison. And maybe they will give you their Price Beat deal if you mention C&M.

Both RC and C&M are online as well.

Sorry to be speaking of Samsung on this Sony forum, but I do think the topic of what you might replace an unsatisfactory Sony Android set with is legitimate. The Sammy is indeed wife-friendly, and is working just as it came out of the box, and has given no issues at all.

The Sony has blotted its copybook a few times in the same period. Probably not fair to criticise the Sony picture as being somewhat inferior to the Sammy, though, as the Sony is the low-end 43in model without Triluminos.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Tarzion

as anybody in the UK managed to tune any satellites other than 28.2?

Yes - I had it setup to get both 28.2 and 19.2 using a DiSEcQ switch. It worked very well (one of the few things on the TV that did ...)

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Tarzion wrote:

as anybody in the UK managed to tune any satellites other than 28.2?

The recent storms shifted both my (fixed) dishes... (Guess what I've got planned for the weekend!). Whilst I could get the set to tune to either Astra or Eutelsat 5W (Fransat) - depending on which dish was connected, I couldn't get Diseq to work! - The dual tuner inputs were no use either.

Additionally, the set wouldn't decode the Fransat UHD demo; I got audio only.  And of course the tuner kept deleting wanted channels and adding unwanted ones.  - I gave up! Went back to my old FTA receiver, then there was the storm... :rolling_eyes:

I hope it will be taken back soon...  So don't intend bothering reconnecting it to the dishes once I re-align them.  I've no use for the satellite tuner as it stands. 

cozzykim

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

Snip: Additionally, the set wouldn't decode the Fransat UHD demo; I got audio only.  And of course the tuner kept deleting wanted channels and adding unwanted ones.  - I gave up! Went back to my old FTA receiver, then there was the storm... :rolling_eyes:

Thanks for the previous heads up re the Astra UHD demo, I've downloaded it to check the 4K performance of my new Sammy. In fact I recorded it to a USB stick while it was playing on the TV. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Raichuu

I don't suppose anyone has the email address I should contact to get them to ask me for my contact number for a "discussion" about my 65X8507C?

I've had the TV since launch, and firmware after firmware... Wait after wait, I'm totally exhausted.

purchased rom Sony.co.uk as well ;-(

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

cozzykim wrote

I've downloaded it to check the 4K performance of my new Sammy. In fact I recorded it to a USB stick while it was playing on the TV. :wink:

:laughing: Indeed....   Many of us might have done likewise had we been able to get the set to retain its tuning long enough to walk across the room, pick up a suitable USB stick and...  Err... Well... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tarzion

I upgraded to the Ireland latest firmware and I can't see the option to set the DiSeqc port any more.

My previous UK firmware allowed me to select the ports.

alinux33
Explorer

Hi Alex @alexw85,

I see you have the same TV model like I had, only in 50inch  version.

I am very curious of one thing. Have you made any tests, connecting a PC through HDMI to check if there are any lip sync issues(sound delays), I am especially interested if you are using this on the latest firmware v3.155.

Its well known that there are several Sony tv models that have the same sound delay issue when video content its sent through HDMI. I could notice it when watching youtube on the PC or playing movies.

I had KDL-55W808c for two weeks, but I returned it to the store due to these issues(and some more) , but now I am tempted to get the same tv as I liked very much the very good motion flow and image processing. 

I have tested a few Samsungs an LGs in the stores, but they cannot compare to Sonys image at this price range.

Thank you!

Alin