Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
adyjay33

Thats a good buy... 🙂

The only hate on here is for the TV's that dont work properly, however give it time with your new TV and you will probably join the haters too... lol 🙂

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
ci7y2015

If so, i will root it and fix myself 🙂

adyjay33

Good luck with that 🙂

Would like to know the results 🙂

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

@mystiqu wrote:

I've just aquired a KD-55X8505C and are experiencing the following issues.

*Black screen after power save (sleep mode)

*Remote lag (approx. 10-20s)

*Sometimes the lag never dissapear and I must reboot the TV.

I just upgraded to version 3.169 (europe/sweden) which made it a lot better, but i still occur almost every day.

Before v3.169 I experienced black screen, video/audio sync issues, remote lag (minutes) etc after every time the TV entered power save mode.

I curse myself that I did not researched enough before buying it - it was kind of an impulse purchase...

Seing all posts and other people with the same issues for such a long time it seems like Sony isn't capable of fixing the issues 😕

//Mike

I don't get any of those problems but I did disable the following: Settings>Power>Eco>Power Saving>OFF, I also set Idle TV standby to 24hrs because I got fed up of having to press a button to stop the TV going into standby after 4 hours every evening.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but it might help you and could be worth a try.

ci7y2015

unsure whats actually broken?

its android? if you dont expect random reboots and rebooting every so often,  you clearly havent done research first 🙂 all part of the fun

and i just set up a scheduler to reboot the tv  in the middle of the morning

adyjay33

The issue is that you really should not have to do much research on a TV, especially one from the so called "Premium" brands, like Sony, although I think its going into decline.

TV's should work as TV's and not have these types of problems, simple at that really.

Why should anyone have to do anything to it to fix problems straight out of the box?

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
ci7y2015

shouldnt reaseach a product before you buy it?   unsure on that one

Misconception here...  Hardware is great... screen great etc all built buy Sony.   now the software issues, ok thats Google's code not Sony's... its an unfinished platform which is new that replaced the old Google TV...

elraouk

A lot of the issues are where the core Google code integrates with the Sony specific code.  For example use of sony apps for the tuners, getting the code to work with the Sony hardware.  These seem to be the areas where a lot of issues are reported. 
I think Google and Sony both need to share the blame on this one. 
I'm secretly hoping the long wait for new firmware is a good thing in terms of quality, and we'll get a surprise update to M. I know it's not realistic, but got to have hope! 
sassbs
Explorer

Has anyone had a response from Customer Escalation Team recently?

Last contact was 20th November and since then no response to emails.

Thanks

Sent from Outlook Mail for Windows 10 phone
ci7y2015

@elaraouk yep  my nexus player is on 6.0.1 and much much better on that  so i agree a jump would be much better!  i was going to say that

you mean code for Youview etc?  surely thats coded by themselves for Android and used under licence by Sony? so hands are tied until Youview update...   if Sony are slow to push updates, which all Android OEM's are, they are to blame but nothing new at all?!