Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

Hi all,

Went through all the pages regarding current 6.0 update, but I couldn't see any comments regarding XD85 models.

I was wondering if anyone with that model could tell me his experience with the latest update.

I didn't get it yet, so I guess I still have enough time to turn off automatic update.

Can anyone persuade me to leave it on :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
DecimusMxms

I updated my xd8599 and now have terrible remote control input lag. Like it would not respond at all for 5-10 mins then would gradually work as normal. This happens mostly when I turn the TVs on or exit from an app like netflix or youview. Really annoying.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
DecimusMxms

I updated my xd8599 and now have terrible remote control input lag. Like it would not respond at all for 5-10 mins then would gradually work as normal. This happens mostly when I turn the TVs on or exit from an app like netflix or youview. Really annoying.

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

8599 here. Picture breakup and a brand new dead pixel plus background functions keep crashing and no amount of factory resets help. This is my 2nd warranty replacement already. I want a better tv from sony. I refuse to keep the 8599 series.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

bbrks011 schrieb:

Hi all,

Went through all the pages regarding current 6.0 update, but I couldn't see any comments regarding XD85 models.

All Sony Android TV models should perform similarily, so same Live TV integration and Smart TV capabilities. Only difference is the panels which ususually don't suffer so much from software bugs...

Can anyone persuade me to leave it on :slight_smile:

Marshmallow does not give you any new features. It also won't bring a huge performance boost. Especially iPhone users won't recognize any improvement in that direction at all :wink: .

You can look at my bug tracker. Is any of the fixes of interest for you? So far I have to say that Sony introduced many more new bugs with Marshmallow than they solved for me. Fixes are mostly in 3rd party components anyway. The only thing that Sony probably fixed is the display mode change when entering the TV Guide, blanking out and muting the TV for several seconds.

So looking at the progress and the many new bugs, I suspect that most of the things will never get fixed.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

@Kuschelmonschter

So looking at the progress and the many new bugs, I suspect that most of the things will never get fixed.

I'm thinking of starting to share this in social media, to let people see how negligent Sony is.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I encourage everybody to do that. You might also want to share my information, see here.

I would have loved to find such information before I bought mine...

Either Sony improves or they should just get lost...

profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

Thank you for that. I am a huge iPhone and Mac user, but actually I don't mix those with my Sony TV in any way.

From the first day on, I was very pleased with TV performance, but I immediately noticed that the Android hardware inside was worth nothing.

Anyhow, I have external receivers for TV and I am only using Netflix, so no big deal for me. All is working fine.

For Kodi I just bought Beelink GT1 Android TV box and I can hardly wait for it to arrive

Simply, I wouldn't like to break this harmony with 6.0 update :).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yeah, that's how you do it with Sony...

... buy an external settop-box for decent Live TV.

... buy a separate box for decent Smart TV capabilities.

Lenso26
Explorer

Hi, 

What about the Netflix HDR issue? (grey wash). 

I wanted to know if they fixed it.

Did not find it in the open bugs list.

Thanks.