Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Atmos not supported on Android TV Disney+ app

profile.country.GB.title
neilwatts13

Dolby Atmos not supported on Android TV Disney+ app

Spoke to a Disney+ rep yesterday and they said that whilst 4K/Dolby Vision is supported on Android TVs, Dolby Atmos is not. 
I know my tv can output Dolby Atmos to my soundbar as it works with my tv's native Netflix app, so why are Disney (and Amazon I believe?) NOT supporting it with their Android TV apps?

Posting this to try and get other Sony TV owners who are longing for Atmos support to lean on Disney to push this as a feature request through their site - I've already done it here (the 'Give Feedback' button on the right):

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_index

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@neilwatts13 

Are you looking for true Dolby Atmos, which requires eARC, or just the fudge that Netflix do to get some non-object height information down ARC connections?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
neilwatts13

Either would be nice!  :wink:

My TV,  KD-43xh8505 has eARC capabilities, and is connected to a HT-ZF9 Atmos soundbar (with sub and rear speakers) so it should be possible.

Surely the Disney+ TV apps would be the most obvious platform required to support Dolby Atmos (Possibly behind Apple TV) so I find it very strange that they don't support Atmos on such a potentially huge user base?